Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
NOTLD68, 10/10

The movie that hooked me and made my love for horror! George Romero is a god! The zombies in here are the best..still creepy as fuck.
Classic scene brings up why it's so good. I don't know if it's just me, but there's sympathy for the those fallen into to zombiehood. Like this scene, there's sympathy for the little girl, we know she 'doesn't know want she's doing', shouldn't have been left alone, the deep tragedy adds to the horror of it all.

Just like the first shot showing the naked woman zombie from behind, because the thought/feeling is, 'she doesn't know she naked', it's a sickness tragedy horror. Don't see that in horror film much anymore.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Evil Dead

BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960). Good Hammer film that really could be better...script is very inconsistent and although Yvonne Maular is gorgeous (and nice when we met her), her character is as stupid as can be. On the plus side, really good production values, Peter Cushing is fantastic and for my money, Andree Melley is the ultimate vampire chick...feral, scary and sort of hot...she scared me big time when I was younger. ***
Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960). Good Hammer film that really could be better...script is very inconsistent and although Yvonne Maular is gorgeous (and nice when we met her), her character is as stupid as can be. On the plus side, really good production values, Peter Cushing is fantastic and for my money, Andree Melley is the ultimate vampire chick...feral, scary and sort of hot...she scared me big time when I was younger. ***
Could have been so much better with script tweaking. And totally agree about the brides "the ultimate vampire chick...feral, scary and sort of hot...she scared me big time when I was younger. "

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-01-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
This was always my favorite Hammer film. Such rich color, set design, etc. Could have been so much better with script tweaking. I don't think they realized just what they had there. And totally agree about the brides "the ultimate vampire chick...feral, scary and sort of hot...she scared me big time when I was younger. "
You're most definitely right....a lot of the Hammers look so good with the sets, the colors and, of course, the glamour. However, many of their films are like the Universals and you have to suspend logic to enjoy them-but I certainly still do and they probably didn't realize what they had, as You said, and also figured no one would be talking about or loving so many of the films 50 some years :shocked: after most of them were released.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
The best thing about "Brides" is Peter Cushing's kick ass Van Helsing character. A real man of action and intelligence. Always thought it was a shame Hammer didn't turn Van Helsing into a series of films with the good doctor fighting all kinds of supernatural beings.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Evil Dead

Dementia 13

Havent watched it in years, glad I decided to again. One of my favorites. ****
Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
NOTLD68, 10/10

The movie that hooked me and made my love for horror! George Romero is a god! The zombies in here are the best..still creepy as fuck.
One of my favorite movies ever. Has to be in my top 3. Also killer name, I love Deadbeat At Dawn.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywikkid View Post

Dementia 13

Havent watched it in years, glad I decided to again. One of my favorites. ****
I like this one as well...opening scene is great as well as the pool scene. This and THE GODFATHER are my top two Coppola films.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Evil Dead

The Black Sleep

After reading who was in this I was a little under whelmed by their roles but still not a bad movie.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywikkid View Post

The Black Sleep

After reading who was in this I was a little under whelmed by their roles but still not a bad movie.
Agree..not the best, but fun in its own little way. THE UNEARTHLY (1957) is kind of more of the same, but a lot more fun. Tor Johnson, Alison Hayes, Sally Todd and Myron Healy are in it, but John Carradine grabs the ball from everyone and ratches it up big time..gotta love JC..he always gave 110%