Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Night of the Demon" a great classic (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56217)

phantomstranger 09-28-2010 03:02 PM

I love this movie. Great in every way. Acting, atmosphere, story and style. A classic.

Zero 09-30-2010 12:55 PM

i think i remember reading that the director didn't want the demon seen at all but the studio forced him to put in the demon sequence to satisfy audiences who would demand to see a demon in night of the DEMON

newb 10-01-2010 06:01 AM

never seen it....it's in my netflix queue now

katdad 10-01-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 876570)
i think i remember reading that the director didn't want the demon seen at all but the studio forced him to put in the demon sequence to satisfy audiences who would demand to see a demon in night of the DEMON

I'm not sure if it was the director (Jaques Tourneau) or the screenwriter, but yes there was some objection. The novel "Digging the Runes" from which the movie was taken doesn't objectify whether the demon exists, and leaves us to guess. Regardless, the demon's appearance is fine with me, because the suspense of the movie is so well handled psychologically.

The Ugly Duchess 10-14-2010 09:15 AM

[QUOte Regardless, the demon's appearance is fine with me, because the suspense of the movie is so well handled psychologically.[/QUOTE]

This is one suspenseful movie and the appearence of the Demon adds to it, especially as it comes through the woods after Dana Andrews.

Great movie. One of the all time best.

zwoti 10-14-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 876570)

it is believed that the producer hal chester felt that a horror movie without a monster would upset the studio, so the additional scenes showing the demon where shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newb (Post 876636)
never seen it....it's in my netflix queue now

shame on you :mad:

Ferox13 10-14-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katdad (Post 876731)
The novel "Digging the Runes" from which the movie was taken doesn't objectify whether the demon exists, and leaves us to guess. Regardless, the demon's appearance is fine with me, because the suspense of the movie is so well handled psychologically.

Casting the Runes.

newb 10-14-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwoti (Post 878002)

shame on you :mad:

I know, huh

but I did watch it last week and enjoyed it much.:D

TheWickerFan 11-15-2010 05:43 AM

I've never seen it.:o

roshiq 11-15-2010 07:14 AM

One of the finest supernatural films ever made for sure. I loved those scenes when Holden breaks into Karswell's mansion & someone started to follow him while he was coming down from the stairs but we can only see a hand...totally creepy and one of the Jacques Tourneur's classic signature moments.