Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Found footage (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69747)

Tommy Jarvis 06-04-2021 09:58 PM

Found footage

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies...he-marked-ones

A list of films to get a conversation started. Thoughts on this subgenre? What do you or don't you like about it?

Bloof 06-06-2021 10:29 AM

I've seen quite a few of those. Next to 80's horror, found-footage is my next favorite genre. I dont know why I like them so much. Its usually the subject matter that i like more as opposed to the point of view of the camera.

DeadbeatAtDawn 06-06-2021 01:50 PM

Not really a fan but since my favorite film is one, August Underground's Mordum, I have a handful I like.

Tommy Jarvis 06-07-2021 07:49 AM

I find it interesting, because it centers a whole subgenre around something which, in truth, is no more than a giant spoiler alert. After all, the whole idea of found footage usually implies that nobody made it out alive (The Levenger Tapes being one of the rare exceptions to this date).

Keeping that interesting seems like a good storytelling challenge as well.

Bloof 06-08-2021 03:23 AM

Lol, i never thought about the spoiler alert angle. Thats true!

Tommy Jarvis 06-08-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1048221)
I've seen quite a few of those. Next to 80's horror, found-footage is my next favorite genre. I dont know why I like them so much. Its usually the subject matter that i like more as opposed to the point of view of the camera.

Which would be your personal favorites?

Bloof 06-08-2021 03:29 PM

These are the numbers on the list as opposed to writing out each name. 2, 5, 7, 11, 33 and 34.

Sculpt 06-08-2021 08:15 PM

There's many of these I haven't seen. I heard The Visit is quite good. it's on my list, and some others on the list.

I thought these were good.
Cloverfield
V/H/S
The Blair Witch Project

These were OK.
Creep
Paranormal Activity
REC

ImmortalSlasher 06-08-2021 09:39 PM

I still haven't seen all of the Paranormal Activity movies yet. I have two more left and they don't want to put them on demand. They are clever movies though. They leave you wanting to see the sequel. I can see why they are popular.

I started the new Blair Witch but stopped because it was really good and I wanted to watch it during the October month. The original is classic.

I think the Found Footage movies can be good if you know what you are doing. Making it feel real with the characters. And whatever horror mystery going on. There are some that I don't like. I don't remember being fond of the Unfriended movies.

There are a few Asian ones on that list I'll check out.

Tommy Jarvis 06-08-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048243)
I still haven't seen all of the Paranormal Activity movies yet. I have two more left and they don't want to put them on demand. They are clever movies though. They leave you wanting to see the sequel. I can see why they are popular.

I only saw the first and thought it was overrated. Is that weird?

Bloof 06-09-2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048246)

I dont think its weird. I've only seen bits and pieces of the first one and wasnt that impressed.

Angra 06-09-2021 07:58 AM

I liked Grave Encouters, Digging up the Marrow. But otherwise I see Found Footage being the Grunge to Heavy Metal. Deadly but only for a decade.

Tommy Jarvis 06-09-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1048257)
I liked Grave Encouters, Digging up the Marrow. But otherwise I see Found Footage being the Grunge to Heavy Metal. Deadly but only for a decade.

I like the metaphore, though it kind of implies that people will stop filiming every single fucking thing they do. As long as that does not happen, FF is (probably) not going anywhere. ::wink::

Angra 06-09-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048258)
I like the metaphore, though it kind of implies that people will stop filiming every single fucking thing they do.

But isn't that the case. FF flicks rarely comes out anymore. And thank fuck for that.

Tommy Jarvis 06-09-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1048259)
But isn't that the case. FF flicks rarely comes out anymore. And thank fuck for that.

Oh, I was thinking in broader terms. With the whole culture surrounding vloggers and by extension social media, cops with bodycams, security camera's,... That in itself should be able to keep providing filmmakers with ideas and I don't think that's going away soon.

FF may not have many mainstream productions, but in the underground/indie circuit, it's probably a keeper. Even if it's just because so cheap to make.

Just one idea: Unarmed black vlogger gets killed by cops. The whole film is a mixture of his camera, the cops' bodycams and security cams from nearby businesses. imo, that could work.

Angra 06-09-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048262)

Just one idea: Unarmed black vlogger gets killed by cops. The whole film is a mixture of his camera, the cops' bodycams and security cams from nearby businesses. imo, that could work.

That’s not a bad concept. I would still prefer it shot normally though. But I like the story.

ImmortalSlasher 06-10-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048246)

How did you think it was overrated? Personally, I like the whole go into the woods, get lost, deal with a witch setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048262)
Oh, I was thinking in broader terms. With the whole culture surrounding vloggers and by extension social media, cops with bodycams, security camera's,... That in itself should be able to keep providing filmmakers with ideas and I don't think that's going away soon.

FF may not have many mainstream productions, but in the underground/indie circuit, it's probably a keeper. Even if it's just because so cheap to make.

Add a horror twist to the cops and have them turn out to be Nazi demons or something. I've mentioned it before around here but this video freaked me out when I was a kid. Especially those final shots.

You do something like that with the cops in a subtle way that only people who are watching carefully pick up on. Then you get the reveal in the end. And repeat views.

Tommy Jarvis 06-11-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048278)
How did you think it was overrated? Personally, I like the whole go into the woods, get lost, deal with a witch setup.

Are we talking about the same franchise? ::confused:: Perhaps, you mean the blair witch.

From what I remember, Paranormal Activity was just a bunch of middle class white people filming mundane things and losing their shit because, ehrmagerd, a lamp moved. ::EEK!:: At the end, some woman screams "Mika, Mika" and then some guy flies into the camera. And that's ALL that happens.

Tommy Jarvis 06-11-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048278)
Add a horror twist to the cops and have them turn out to be Nazi demons or something. I've mentioned it before around here but this video freaked me out when I was a kid. Especially those final shots.

You do something like that with the cops in a subtle way that only people who are watching carefully pick up on. Then you get the reveal in the end. And repeat views.

A good tone for this might be similar to The Green Room. Does not have to be in your face, maybe just an interviewee dropping a line about dirty cops rumoured to frequent bars where white supremacists hang out.

ImmortalSlasher 06-16-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048284)
Are we talking about the same franchise? ::confused:: Perhaps, you mean the blair witch.

From what I remember, Paranormal Activity was just a bunch of middle class white people filming mundane things and losing their shit because, ehrmagerd, a lamp moved. ::EEK!:: At the end, some woman screams "Mika, Mika" and then some guy flies into the camera. And that's ALL that happens.

My mind was probably on Blair Witch as I was thinking about the new version or mentioned it around here or on the horrordvds forum.

Yeah, I thought Paranormal Activity was too hyped at first. I only started watching them recently in the last year. But I like how they keep continuing the story. I have two more to go. They are cheaply made but clever. Good acting. I think I reviewed a few around here. Depending on how they end, if they end, it might be a good series to own or at least revisit every few years or so.

I just checked wiki and there is a Japanese version called. Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night that I haven't seen. So that makes three to still watch.

Tommy Jarvis 06-17-2021 12:34 AM

How about a FF version of I spit on your grave? Or Friday the 13th?

Tommy Jarvis 06-22-2021 01:23 PM

hammerfan 06-23-2021 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048393)

I like to know what I'm clicking on before I click on it. Especially since I'm at work.

Bloof 06-23-2021 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1048393)

That movie was brutal. I could never watch the whole thing. I've gleaned bits and pieces over the years.

Tommy Jarvis 06-23-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1048398)
I like to know what I'm clicking on before I click on it. Especially since I'm at work.

Good point. Should have mentioned it, my bad. I will do it here.

https://youtu.be/UhKWqdJ8sIc is an analysis of The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I appreciate it, since it offers a good explanation as to what the film does well and what it sets out to do as well, thus refuting some of the criticism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1048399)
That movie was brutal. I could never watch the whole thing. I've gleaned bits and pieces over the years.

Indeed. Very brutal and disturbing.

One of those memorable times when a film creeps you out so much you need a bit of time to recover.

ImmortalSlasher 06-23-2021 09:24 PM

Here:

Tommy Jarvis 06-24-2021 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048406)
Here:

So THAT'S how that YT-thingamajig works. Thanks, Slasher.::cool::

jackwritesstuff 06-26-2021 11:17 AM

fuck found footage

unpopular opinion perhaps but in my eyes since the blair witch project, there's only been maybe 2 movies with decent 'found footage' elements

1) cloverfield
2)the 4th kind.

Everything else has been really unimpressive and makes me cringe

Bloof 06-26-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackwritesstuff (Post 1048445)
unpopular opinion perhaps but in my eyes since the blair witch project, there's only been maybe 2 movies with decent 'found footage' elements

1) cloverfield
2)the 4th kind.

Not unpopular. Found footage isn't everyone's cup of tea. I am quite fond of it.

TaeKwonZombie 07-01-2021 08:22 PM

i like it, but sometimes it can be garbage if the scenes drag on and are boring

Tommy Jarvis 07-01-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackwritesstuff (Post 1048445)

1) cloverfield
2)the 4th kind.

Fair enough. To each his own.

ImmortalSlasher 07-05-2021 06:48 PM

I still haven't seen Cloverfield. That was one of those Bad Robot hype movies that just didn't interest me. I'll see it eventually though. I'm more interested in the sequels than the original.

I just remember Abrams hyping the Escape from LA poster image in the movie. And also seeing the usual scene in Abrams either directed or produced movies, which is the bunch of strangers pretending to have fun and some kind of party or gathering. It's just superficial to me.

Sculpt 07-06-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048566)
I still haven't seen Cloverfield. That was one of those Bad Robot hype movies that just didn't interest me. I'll see it eventually though. I'm more interested in the sequels than the original.

I just remember Abrams hyping the Escape from LA poster image in the movie. And also seeing the usual scene in Abrams either directed or produced movies, which is the bunch of strangers pretending to have fun and some kind of party or gathering. It's just superficial to me.

I hear ya. But I can just tell you about the movie.

I saw Cloverfield in the movie theatre which is a very unique experience. I wish you could see it on the big screen. Found footage naturally is mostly handheld close-up stuff. Seeing that on the big screen is a visual trip. Also, with Cloverfield, the director (Matt Reeves) had to get creative with shots to give a bit of a mesh between close-up and deeper field and wider shots.

Well, I don't expect you'll ever see it on the big screen, but hopefully you'll be able to make your first viewing as much of a theatre experience as you can... you know, your biggest screen, your best audio, at night, lights out, no distractions.

Anyway, the film itself... With the opening segment the director didn't need to make quite so shaky. A number of folks in the theatre were getting ill. I think one of my party left. But it was trippy to see, and it was visually engrossing, you quickly feel part of the group, but still uneasy.

After that opening scene, thankfully they cut the shakiness way down, and the photorealistic imagery takes over. It's impressive and immersive throughout. I won't give anything away, but the film delivers the first-person experience of a giant monster movie. I thought it was a one of a kind experience, done quite well.

The relationship of the young adults in the film... meh, I didn't find it significant, not particularly unreal or annoying. They just seemed like normal young adults. Wasn't preachy, and they acted fairly reasonable under the bizarre circumstances, as I recall. It's not a great character driven story, it's more of a visceral horror film type experience.

I've saw Cloverfield Paradox... the films have zero relation. Different writers, different director, not found footage. 10 cloverfield lane, same thing. No relation.

Sculpt 07-06-2021 07:05 PM

ImmortalSlasher 07-06-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1048572)
I hear ya. But I can just tell you about the movie.

I saw Cloverfield in the movie theatre which is a very unique experience. I wish you could see it on the big screen. Found footage naturally is mostly handheld close-up stuff. Seeing that on the big screen is a visual trip. Also, with Cloverfield, the director (Matt Reeves) had to get creative with shots to give a bit of a mesh between close-up and deeper field and wider shots.

Well, I don't expect you'll ever see it on the big screen, but hopefully you'll be able to make your first viewing as much of a theatre experience as you can... you know, your biggest screen, your best audio, at night, lights out, no distractions.

Anyway, the film itself... With the opening segment the director didn't need to make quite so shaky. A number of folks in the theatre were getting ill. I think one of my party left. But it was trippy to see, and it was visually engrossing, you quickly feel part of the group, but still uneasy.

After that opening scene, thankfully they cut the shakiness way down, and the photorealistic imagery takes over. It's impressive and immersive throughout. I won't give anything away, but the film delivers the first-person experience of a giant monster movie. I thought it was a one of a kind experience, done quite well.

The relationship of the young adults in the film... meh, I didn't find it significant, not particularly unreal or annoying. They just seemed like normal young adults. Wasn't preachy, and they acted fairly reasonable under the bizarre circumstances, as I recall. It's not a great character driven story, it's more of a visceral horror film type experience.

I've saw Cloverfield Paradox... the films have zero relation. Different writers, different director, not found footage. 10 cloverfield lane, same thing. No relation.

Every time it's on demand I take a pass at watching it. I think I saw a few minutes of the opening. Maybe some bits underground later in the movie with some bugs. And stopped. I think I spoiled how the monster lands in the ocean.

But the cast looks good. And the director worked his way up to making the next Batman which looks good. But I just knew back then that Abrams was a hype guy. Nothing rewatchable out of all his movies and TV shows. Except Super 8. But that's probably because he wanted to impress Spielberg. I'll get that to own one day.

I was more interested in the Cloverfield sequels mainly because of the casting. I'll get to them eventually. Probably wait till I make my home theater. I can't remember if I posted this over here. I was talking about theaters on HorrorDVDs. But I saw this home theater and a few others and want to make a smaller version for myself.

This virus thing isn't over. And experts say we'll see another one in the future. So best to have a nice home setup.

Sculpt 07-07-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1048575)
Every time it's on demand I take a pass at watching it. I think I saw a few minutes of the opening. Maybe some bits underground later in the movie with some bugs. And stopped. I think I spoiled how the monster lands in the ocean.

But the cast looks good. And the director worked his way up to making the next Batman which looks good. But I just knew back then that Abrams was a hype guy. Nothing rewatchable out of all his movies and TV shows. Except Super 8. But that's probably because he wanted to impress Spielberg. I'll get that to own one day.

I was more interested in the Cloverfield sequels mainly because of the casting. I'll get to them eventually. Probably wait till I make my home theater. I can't remember if I posted this over here. I was talking about theaters on HorrorDVDs. But I saw this home theater and a few others and want to make a smaller version for myself.

This virus thing isn't over. And experts say we'll see another one in the future. So best to have a nice home setup.

That's pretty nifty. Not many peeps have a large room to devote to a theatre.

ImmortalSlasher 07-07-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1048581)
That's pretty nifty. Not many peeps have a large room to devote to a theatre.

The average den, living room, or basement should be good enough in most homes these days.

Here is his site with a bunch of small and big home theaters.

http://www.tktheaters.com/portfolio.html

Tommy Jarvis 07-31-2021 02:02 AM

A lot of found footage films seem to be slow burners as well. Ot is that just me?

Tommy Jarvis 01-16-2022 12:07 PM

DeadbeatAtDawn 03-07-2023 03:53 PM