View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 11:07 AM
Evil Dead

Frankenstein 1931 ★★★★★

What better time than october to revisit one of the all time classics?

I love how they use small details to introduce atmosphere. Like the cast at the start. The actor playing the Monster? A mistery, just a question mark. Who is this damnable fiend? We do not know. Atmos immediately set. Excellent.

I had the time to fully immerse myself in the movie and I most of all noticed the humour. This movie is a lot funnier than one would give it credit for. What with the fysical antics of comic relief Fritz of other instances of slapstick.

I also love the portrayal of The Monster. This is not a run to the hills type of monster. This is a genuinely misunderstood creature who himself does not understand the world that surrounds him. How could he? He has only been alive for a few days. Or his childlike wonder and happiness when he reaches out for the light the first he sees it. Showing the parallel with children and adolescents explained at great length in the extras that came with this DVD.

That also brings us to the tragedy of the story. The Monster is not aware of his own strength or the effect of his actions on other people (Side note: Could one consider It's Alive as echoing Frankenstein?). Bringing us to the tragic death of Maria. The one person that reached out to him. But not unnatural since, based on testimonies, children of all people are the ones least afraid of The Monster. I also love how the makers' attempt at censorship only resulted in making things worse. Thus making them have more in common with The Monster than you would think at first glance.

A five star classic for all ages and all eras.

Ps: I keep writing The Monster, since we all know Frankenstein is the scientist and not the monster. But keeping that up is pretty damn hard.