View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 02:37 AM
Evil Dead

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have seen the 1956 version (with a very hammy Charlton Heston, even outdoing Vincent Price and John Carradine), but had never heard of this version until a couple of weeks ago when my wife and I saw it on the big screen with live musical score to compliment the film.
This adaptation also directed by Cecil B DeMille follows the story, but in a shorter format, beginning with the Israeli slaves building a temple for Egyptian masters-and how amazing are the sets! After they begin their exodus in the desert and are pursued by Egyptians is when the special effects come into play. The wall of fire is cool enough, but the business with The Red Sea is pretty damn impressive, as is the Commandments coming out of the sky.
After that, the story switches to the present involving two brother; one a virtuous type (albeit poor) and his devil may care brother who breaks all the commandments for wealth, but then finds his life going to hell in a hand basket.

While some of the silent film acting can be called excessive, consider the point had to come across without sound, I enjoyed this very much and if You get the chance, go see it! ****