View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 12:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS (1954). A group of people at a remote Scottish Inn are menaced by the title character who has some to Earth looking for breeding stock to save her planet from extinction. When coercion and intimidation don't have the desired effect, She has to resort to more drastic measures.

A very cheesy Robot and low budget don't help matters, but Patricia Laffan is pretty cool as the titular character with an almost S/M outfit. Some decent support by Adrienne Corri (MADHOUSE, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE) and the always welcome Hazel Court. ***
DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS (1954)
8/10

I just recently was able to see Devil Girl from Mars on youtube colorized. The colorization is a bit too red in the warm scenes, but overall looks quite nice.

I was able to enjoy a fun riffing viewing with a buddy; the film begs for it. Devil Girl from Mars plays more like a completely unself-aware parody.

A film is sometimes described as: it's so bad it's "good" or "it's so bad" it's good. This would be the later, as I don't think there's a dull moment in its 1hr 13m runtime.

The jewel of the film is the black-leather clad Martian named Nyah played like a fusion of a cold, cruel, commanding, snazzily dressed, self-satisfied Gestapo agent, Bella Lugosi's Dracula and a sultry Soviet spy. She's powerful, determined, on a mission, and worst of all, she is thoroughly amused.

The film is rich with historical imagery evoking classic moral idioms. I sense an anti-eugenic theme. I love the overt condemnations of dark human history contrasted with the salvatory force of individual righteous indignation, and the selfless protective instinct. And I think you'll find it hard not to laugh at the presentation.

There are couple of nicely written romantic scenes for two of the couples. The brief narrative backgrounds for the cast of characters succinctly sets up the mix of motivations inside the simple sci-fi plot. I think more robust actors could delightfully liven up the room.