Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Little Boo

Question Does anyone else think Eli Roth is overated?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Cabin Fever was a decent film with a lot of good things going for it but after that, what was there? A string of Hostel movies that weren't very interesting and now what... some acting roles in other people's films? Sometimes I feel like Roth made Cabin Fever just so he could be friends with Hollywood people and get to be a producer/actor in other, more talented people's stuff.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Evil Dead

I completely agree !.There are far better directors out there.I can never quite figure out where hes coming from or what hes trying to convey .If i see a film with him associated with it (inglorious basterds )included I just know im goin to hate it and I generally do
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Hellraiser

See I don't share your opinion on this. I quite like cabin fever, hostel and hostel 2 and think he is a good director/producer not great but good. The one thing I don't get is how he is overrated I don't know when I have seen him being over-praised. Now he does have some films that I don't like, such as that exorcism found footage one he did. But I'm pretty neutral on the guy he's not great and not bad.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Misanthrope

I'm waiting for him to live up to the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-X View Post
The one thing I don't get is how he is overrated I don't know when I have seen him being over-praised.
Well it seems to have died down in recent years but I remember reading lots of articles talking him up as the biggest thing to happen to modern horror/savoir of the genre etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I'm waiting for him to live up to the hype.

Well it seems to have died down in recent years but I remember reading lots of articles talking him up as the biggest thing to happen to modern horror/savoir of the genre etc.
Ah that must be why :), but I think that's like any new director that makes a good first movie like Eli did with cabin fever. I rember a lot of friends going on about Adam green when hatchet first came out saying he was going to be the next greatest thing, personally I don't see that happening.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-X View Post
Ah that must be why :), but I think that's like any new director that makes a good first movie like Eli did with cabin fever. I rember a lot of friends going on about Adam green when hatchet first came out saying he was going to be the next greatest thing, personally I don't see that happening.
It's true, every new director to come along in horror with their "next big thing" tends to get the hype as if they invented the genre. And it's true I haven't heard as much about Roth recently but then that's probably because he isn't putting out much right now. I felt like Cabin Fever was pretty inventive and had a very particular voice that wasn't common at the time, but then I was disappointed by the Hostel series that didn't seem to bring anything new except a lot of gore that I think was it's biggest source of hype.

Overall, Roth makes a few cameos and puts his name on a lot of projects but doesn't actually helm anything.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Evil is Better

I don't think there really is that much hype for him. He got credit for making good movies. Cabin Fever was fun and refreshing and Hostel was exactly what horror movies needed at the time to get things going again for the genre. He's a great director and i think he deserves the praise he got for those films.

The thing about horror directors is that every time they make a fresh original movie, they get hailed as the next big thing for horror. It happened with Roth, Adam Green, Ti West, etc...But that kind of attention only leads people to being disappointed because they are ridiculous expectations to live up to.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Immortal horror fan

I think his best was the Thanksgiving short trailer in Grindhouse. I think he was ok in Tarantino's Basterds film which I want to see again. A lot of his movies have a good premise but turn into gross out gore stuff with characters that I don't like. I think I only felt sorry for the Japanese girl in Hostel. I can't remember his movies that much except for Thanksgiving and I think that is the most telling fact.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Misanthrope

Haha forgot about the Thanksgiving trailer! That was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Cabin Fever was fun and refreshing and Hostel was exactly what horror movies needed at the time to get things going again for the genre.
Can't say I agree both were watchable but nothing original or fresh particularly Hostel which was just jumping on the Saw/Se7en bandwagon.
I think The Devil's Rejects was more of a revitalizing shot in the arm for the genre especially since it drew in quite a broad audience. Most people I talked to during the time Hostel came out who weren't die hard horror fans thought it sucked and criticized how it was like nearly every other "scary" movie released during that period.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

Can't say I agree both were watchable but nothing original or fresh particularly Hostel which was just jumping on the Saw/Se7en bandwagon.
I think The Devil's Rejects was more of a revitalizing shot in the arm for the genre especially since it drew in quite a broad audience. Most people I talked to during the time Hostel came out who weren't die hard horror fans thought it sucked and criticized how it was like nearly every other "scary" movie released during that period.
Yeah i've heard people pretty much say the same thing. That's just how i felt about it.

Tags
cabin, eli, fever, hostel, roth