Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
As good as Bram Stokers Dracula is 1992 I still prefer Horror of Dracula 1958 with Lee and Cushing. I have said before and I will say it again You just cant beat cushing and Lee in a Dracula movie.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I Am Male.

My favorite Dracula film is Nosferatu, but ya Cushing and Lee make a formidable couple.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Evil Dead

Hi Classic Nosferatu is not a Dracula movie it is an almost Dracula movie. The 1st Dracula movie was made in Russia in 1920 then Dracula was made again in Hungry in 1921 staring Paul Askonas as Dracula the movie was titled Drakula. Then Prana studios in Germany was going to make a dracula movie but Florence Stoker Brams widdow said she would sue Prana if they didnt change the title so Prana made the movie and changed the title to Nosferatu in 1922. The Vampire in Nosferatu is Graf Orlock played by Max Shreck. Universal bought the rights of Dracula from Florence Stoker and made Count Dracula with actors Bela Lugosi and Carlos Villarias for the english and spanish versions.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:28 AM
I Am Male.

Yes Nos is an almost Dracula film. BUT its character Count Orlock is based on the book, and if you read some of the subtitles (or whatever you call it) you'll see that it uses Count Orlock's character as "Dracula". Nosferatu is not the first Dracula film, but it certainly does use his name alot in the film (and thats what I think F.W. Murnau was looking for when making this film). Not to mention Bram Stoker's wife sued him for making a film based on the book without permission.

But yes Nos will always be Count Orlock to me.

5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Evil Dead

All Dracula movies are based on Bram Stokers book we know this as far as Nosferatu I agree Prana made the movie based on the book like 2 other Dracula movies before. However Brams widdow made Prana change the titles so Nosferatu is not a Dracula movie if it were the movie would be titled Dracula but its not. Count Yorga i am sure is based on Dracula but again that movie and its sequel are not Dracula movies. There are lots of Vampire movies based on Stokers character but they are not Dracula movies.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:53 AM
I Am Male.

It doesn't have to be a Dracula title to be a Dracula movie. I am sure he would have left the title to Dracula if Bram Stoker's widow didn't go besark and get all the copies destroyed (later in a couple of years some copies were discovered. )

By the way you never see the name "Count Orlock" in the movie, but ya I guess its not a complete Dracula film. What I think Murnau did is change the story completely and made it into a different story, but that doesn't explain why the name Dracula is used for the vampire....

Old 01-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Backyard Waterfall

I love both these companies.

We should make a new company, though, called "THE UNIVERSAL HAMMER," and then replace the two companies with that. It would be like Disneyland, with a huge theme park and big statues of Chris Lee and Boris Karloff shaking hands.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Evil Dead

What I find very disapointing today is that Universal does not treat horror movies very well as far as backing them. It seems Universal forgot it were the horror movies they made in the 1920s and 1930s and 40s that helped Universal surive. I have seen the 1922 Nosferatu movie about 3 times and I dont ever recal seen where they referd to Orlock as Dracula in the subs. Now in the 1979 remake of Nosferatu which I also saw i cant say for fact if they used the name Dracula in that but I doubt it.