Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-08-2022, 11:49 PM
Evil Dead

THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR (1967)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Peter Cushing, who is good as ever, considers this the worst film He ever made and He may not be wrong. A mysterious string of murders around the countryside, all evolving good looking men (for a change) killed in a bestial fashion. It turns out a nearby scientist has a lovely daughter doomed to transform into -I kid You not- a Giant moth in search of a mate or prey. Heavy shades of THE REPTILE and the face of the Moth-Woman (maybe based on the West Virginia legend of The Mothman) truly resembles that of THE WASP WOMAN.

Just seriously silly, with a lot of filler (The play being the worst example), so approach with caution. *1/2
Old 12-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Evil Dead

The Killer Shrews (1959) ★★★

The first thing that struck me was how a large chunk of this film could just as well function as a stage play. Little set changes, lots of*dialogue.

I was also touched by the lack of gore. Savini and Stavrakis are still years away, that's for sure. When we do see the killer shrews, they look silly by today's standards. As if someone glued some hair on a dog or a similar animal. Kind of reminiscent of that bit on the Simpsons on how "cows don't look like*cows".

The film, however, does have qualities as well. The idea of the killer shrews and the trope of science going where it's not supposed to go, fit well with the age of the atom. And as goofy as the premise is, they do tell it well. The hour flies by.*

Ken Curtis makes for a convincing secondary antagonist and the other cast members do their job as well. Though Ingrid Goude does not have much to work with in her damsel in distress character. Not to mention the actors portraying minority characters. They get little screen time and die*first.

Recommended for fans of vintage*horror.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:09 PM
Evil Dead

The Giant Gila Monster 1959 ★★★★

What's not to love about this one? The Happy Days-vibes from the snack bar, the dashing all-American hero with the sweet girlfriend, the swinging fifties vibe and characters for whom a designated driver seemed to be more science fiction than a giant*lizard.

And I don't want to hear any complaining about lousy special effects. That's part of the charm here. Especially how the set all of sudden was filled with match box cars in order to make the gila monster look bigger. Loved*it.

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 12-10-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:13 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Killer Shrews (1959) ★★★

The first thing that struck me was how a large chunk of this film could just as well function as a stage play. Little set changes, lots of*dialogue.

I was also touched by the lack of gore. Savini and Stavrakis are still years away, that's for sure. When we do see the killer shrews, they look silly by today's standards. As if someone glued some hair on a dog or a similar animal. Kind of reminiscent of that bit on the Simpsons on how "cows don't look like*cows".

The film, however, does have qualities as well. The idea of the killer shrews and the trope of science going where it's not supposed to go, fit well with the age of the atom. And as goofy as the premise is, they do tell it well. The hour flies by.*

Ken Curtis makes for a convincing secondary antagonist and the other cast members do their job as well. Though Ingrid Goude does not have much to work with in her damsel in distress character. Not to mention the actors portraying minority characters. They get little screen time and die*first.

Recommended for fans of vintage*horror.
I agree, there is a lot lacking from this, but one thing for sure, it certainly doesn't waste time and is a pretty damn good little picture.

EYE OF THE CAT (1969). Slacker Michael Sarrazin meets up with lovely Gayle Hunnicut (THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE) and plots to kill His Rich Aunt, played by Eleanor Parker. It seems like a good plan- the Aunt dotes on Michael, so no problem getting close to her- but the biggest obstacle is Michael is terrified of cats and there are a lot of them in the house.

This has great location shots of San Francisco and impressive cat training, but little else to recommend it. Sarrazin's character is such a jerk, You wonder why anyone would want to be around, much less dote on, Him. Everyone else is no
day at the beach either. Watch something else. *1/2
Old 12-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Evil Dead

I Drink Your Blood (1970) ★★★½

A highly enjoyable grindhouse flick with a plot that moves along*well.

The fear of water is probably more due to the danger of the toothpaste coming off, but I'm sure more than one seventies-Dale would have appreciated the idea of hippies/construction workers being afraid of*water.

Also, it was fun to see how, in hindsight, this flick might have had a more diverse cast than some of the mainstream pictures of the*time.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I agree, there is a lot lacking from this, but one thing for sure, it certainly doesn't waste time and is a pretty damn good little picture.
It certainly is entertaining. And it stood the test of time well. I will give it that.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:36 AM
Evil Dead

DAUGHTER OF DOCTOR JEKYLL (1957). Halfway through DODJ, I realized it is almost a remake of the awful SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (1946), but even worse if that's possible. I like Gloria Talbott (I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE) and John Agar (TARANTULA), but they were probably cursing their agents while making this. And what is with the gaudy jacket John wears? Just horrid all around- watch if You must, but You have been warned. 1/2
Old 02-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Evil Dead

Jamaica Inn 1939 ★★

If I did not know it was old Hitchcock, I probably would not have noticed.

I love ye old timey English (What say you, mister Rogers?) and the 30s screams, but it did not do all that much for me. The suspense masterpieces are still ways away.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:46 PM
Licking

House on Horror Hill. Christ almighty this, like Jan inna Pan" (BTWD)", und" I Love Lucy", this fucker is playing some where 24/7. I like it. I have just seen it too many times.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:48 PM
Licking

"The Magician" (1927) If you haven't seen this one, it's worth a look.