Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2023, 01:00 AM
Evil Dead

DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS (1954). A group of people at a remote Scottish Inn are menaced by the title character who has some to Earth looking for breeding stock to save her planet from extinction. When coercion and intimidation don't have the desired effect, She has to resort to more drastic measures.

A very cheesy Robot and low budget don't help matters, but Patricia Laffan is pretty cool as the titular character with an almost S/M outfit. Some decent support by Adrienne Corri (MADHOUSE, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE) and the always welcome Hazel Court. ***
Old 03-10-2023, 02:00 AM
Evil Dead

DEADLY FEMALE (1931). The first film adaptation of THE MALTESE FALCON follows the story more closely than the seminal 1941 effort, but not nearly is good. There is more Pre-Code sleaze, but Ricardo Cortez is a washout as Sam Spade and the rest of the cast can't match up either, although Dwight Frye isn't bad as Wilmer. If You have to watch TMF, the Humphrey Bogart one is all You will need. **
Old 03-18-2023, 01:33 AM
Evil Dead

INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN (1957). AIP programmer of Aliens invading Small Town Earth and being defeated by teenagers, despite non-cooperation and distrust by local authorities. The alien costumes are pretty cool, but the film on the whole is just putrid and a very long 70 minutes. Don't even bother to watch the 60's remake THE EYE CREATURES-I was nine when I saw and thought it was a stinker. *
Old 03-24-2023, 12:22 AM
Evil Dead

COBRA WOMAN (1944). The Maria Montez/Jon Hall films get a lot of disrespect, but I must say, I found CW to be quite entertaining: Certainly no classic, but loads better than much of what Universal was cranking out. A lovely woman (Montez) is abducted to a dangerous island and her fiancee (Hall) follows her with help from Sabu. All sorts of campy dangers arise, including a mute Lon Chaney Jr! ***
Old 03-27-2023, 06:17 AM
病気の

The Curse of Frankenstein, 1957. 7/10

Directed by Terence Fisher

Old 03-31-2023, 02:58 AM
Evil Dead

THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958). Decent sequel to CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN that has a rather nasty subplot thrown in and a great climax. As usual, Peter Cushing shines and a very good performance by him. ***
Old 04-06-2023, 05:38 PM
病気の

Witchfinder General, 1968. 7/10

Directed by Michael Reeves

Old 04-08-2023, 03:27 AM
Evil Dead

BLOOD OF DRACULA (1957). A continuation of "Teen Monsters" AIP was turning out and should have been called I WAS A TEENAGE DRACULA. A rebellious and unhappy teenage girl (Nancy) is shipped to a Boarding school by her father and new stepmother. While trying to fit in, she is noticed by an instructor who has a theory and realizes Nancy would be the perfect subject to try said theory on. Very much like I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, but not nearly as good. Sandra Harrison doesn't evoke much sympathy and a lackluster makeup job doesn't help. We are also "blessed" by a song...when the guy begins singing "Puppy Love", use the time to make yourself a snack or take the garbage out...awful stuff! *1/2
Old 04-08-2023, 11:09 PM
Evil Dead

Earth vs. the Spider 1958 ★★½

I can make a fifties horror movie and make it not look campy.

No you can't, mister Simpson! No one can!
Old 04-12-2023, 01:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Earth vs. the Spider 1958 ★★½

I can make a fifties horror movie and make it not look campy.

No you can't, mister Simpson! No one can!
You also can't make a group of obviously age 30 and over actors look like teenagers playing rock music...cool payoff in the scene, anyway.

ISLAND OF TERROR (1966). A small island is besieged by murders involving the corpses being without bones, how the menace has the ability to multiply and how can it be stopped?

While it sounds kind of goofy, IOT really is a pretty good little flick and if Peter Cushing is involved, I'm certainly in! While watching it, my wife remarked how it reminded her a lot of a Star Trek episode, while all I could think of were the monsters in THE GREEN SLIME! Check it out. ***