Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Re: It all sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by halloweenfreak1
horror movies from japan suck(just my take)
Wow...You've seen EVERY Japanese horror movie ever made???!!!....That's absolutely AMAZING...

I'm surprised you didn't like 3 Extremes...That was really good...The Eye was great, too...

Why on earth would you watch SO many Japanese movies, if you didn't like them?...I think I would have stopped after about the first 100 or so...

Oh well...I guess you were just trying to keep an open mind...Sorry it didn't work out for you...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
Re: Re: It all sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Wow...You've seen EVERY Japanese horror movie ever made???!!!....That's absolutely AMAZING...

I'm surprised you didn't like 3 Extremes...That was really good...The Eye was great, too...

Why on earth would you watch SO many Japanese movies, if you didn't like them?...I think I would have stopped after about the first 100 or so...

Oh well...I guess you were just trying to keep an open mind...Sorry it didn't work out for you...
lol, no i have not seen them all. i just didnt like the ones i saw
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Re: Re: Re: It all sucks

Quote:
lol, no i have not seen them all. i just didnt like the ones i saw
Oh...Well...That makes a lot more sense than saying they ALL suck...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Your funeral... my trial

This is kinda like me deciding that all Italian horror flicks suck after watching Cemetary Man.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
are you saying i'm stupid?

i cant comment on you personally -

but a lot of your posts sure are.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i cant comment on you personally -

but a lot of your posts sure are.
o well i guess i have a very different view of things.lots of my friends disagree to. but i do have people who agree.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by omcdave
hay ween what movies if any do you like then? they most be relly great compared to this suck ass asian shit we like. so start typing.
milo was one of my favorites.. Ilike the last sign,halloween, NoES ,F13,jeepers creepers, the fog(the original), red riding hood(which i am like the only person who likes it i think), hell raiser , they , and alot of others.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to Lala_Sound
Quote:
Originally posted by Burning in Hell
Well, actually, I'm not that fond of J-Movies either I must say.

I think the main problem for me is that, and I think I can make an analogy with Italian movies here, there are often very cheesy moments in these films, and that the acting is often severly overdone. I guess it's a matter of some cultural elements that are somewhat "lost in translation" and that prevent me from getting into these movies in general.

I don't prentend to be an expert on Asian movies, but I have nonetheless seen 50 of these or so, since I like to keep updated and am still hoping I will be won over by these someday. And I have to say I have found some really interesting films from that part of the world (Dark Waters, Shutter, The Eye/The Eye 2), but that, in the majority, I did not particularly like movies like the Ringu and Ju-Hon movies, Pulse, etc.

Just my two cents on the subject...
see this person isn't too bad because they explain the reasons why

&& He said "I'd love to hammer her right there with the old
In Out"
Old 09-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Duncanature
J-Horror is great. All these American remakes are slowly killing it, though. Americans can't stand the fact that the Japanese are better than them at anything, but by remaking all these movies, all they're doing is proving them right.
Let me start by saying I really enjoy J-horror, so the fact I'm biased in this case should be pretty obvious. I don't, however, see how American remakes of J-horror flicks can kill J-horror because people who are "true" fans of the genre are going to stick with it, meaning the foreign originals.

I think American audiences have a hard time with J-horror (and foreign horror in general) because we lack the cultural background to fully understand what is going on.

I loved The Ring when I saw it, but when I watched Ringu, I was smitten. I liked the Japanese version much better because it made sense. All of the paranormal, psychic stuff that was absent from the American version helped make Ringu cohesive. In fact, after watching Ringu I better understood The Ring, and I thought I had The Ring figured out. I do, however, understand why all of that stuff was absent from The Ring. American audiences and culture don't buy into paranormal phenomena like Asian cultures do, so the studio execs felt it needed to be toned down.

That being said, I do agree with Duncanature that American cinema has overdone the whole "J-horror ripoff" thing, just as it's overdone the remake/"reimagining" thing. It becomes laughable when the list of movies at the cineplex reads like a movie list from the 70's: Wicker Man, When a Stranger Calls, The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Omen, The Fog, etc. It's even more laughable when you realize that the 70's originals are millions of times better (with the possible exception of THHE).

Of course even quality directors like Scorsese aren't above doing it. The Departed (his latest cinematic "masterpiece") is just the Americanized version of Infernal Affairs, which is one hell of a movie.

Sorry to have climbed on my soapbox, but this is something that really gets me hot under the collar.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Duncanature
I didn't mean it would "kill it off" actually. But all these remakes could turn some Americans off to J-horror. I'm sure the true fans will continue to be true fans. I know I will. I just think Americans should stop trying to be Japanese and continue to do good, high-quality American horror films. Just because a horror movie is made in America doesn't mean it's any better or worse than a J-horror movie. The Japanese may be better at ghost movies, but they have yet to top us in the zombie or slasher genre.
I see what you mean, and I agree that American horror should stand on its own two feet.