Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I don't know if it means horror is getting better financially.

$19,198,896 approx. per film gross in 07' compared to approx. $40,773,297 ($59,516,577 if you adjust for inflation) per movie in 97'. The test I suppose would be simple for us to do though. Simply take this list...

Scream 2
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Anaconda
Scream
The Relic
Event Horizon
Mimic
An American Werewolf in Paris
Wes Craven's Wishmaster
Thinner

and place next to each movie a horror film in 07' that you think is better. If you can easily replace this list then for you, I suppose 07' was a better year.
I think we're talking around each other. I... don't... understand... the point you're making.

I did NOT say that horror is doing as well financially.

I was making the point that the indies don't get wide-distribution, so they wouldn't gross as much money and wouldn't add to the pot as a whole.

And how does gross gain make it a "good" movie? I'm not judging on the people who went and saw the movies - Just how intelligent they might be.

I was being glib and just saying that financial gain doesn't account for QUALITY (since we have Scream 2, I Know What You Did, and Anaconda)... That people spend money on Blockbusters and aren't interested in the movies that I considered pretty damn good.

So, maybe 2007 wasn't great for the franchise, but it produced intelligent, different, and interesting movies.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I think we're talking around each other. I... don't... understand... the point you're making.

I did NOT say that horror is doing as well financially.

I was making the point that the indies don't get wide-distribution, so they wouldn't gross as much money and wouldn't add to the pot as a whole.

And how does gross gain make it a "good" movie? I'm not judging on the people who went and saw the movies - Just how intelligent they might be.

I was being glib and just saying that financial gain doesn't account for QUALITY (since we have Scream 2, I Know What You Did, and Anaconda)... That people spend money on Blockbusters and aren't interested in the movies that I considered pretty damn good.

So, maybe 2007 wasn't great for the franchise, but it produced intelligent, different, and interesting movies.
Money doesn't make a movie good but it does get more made. I was agreeing with you that the quality seems to be getting better BUT if they don't make more money then fewer original films will be released and we'll continue to be assaulted with remakes and sequels. I was just throwing some figures out there, the only real question I had was can you, personally, find 10 movies from 07' that were better than those in 97'?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
the only real question I had was can you, personally, find 10 movies from 07' that were better than those in 97'?

Hatchet > Scream 2
Saw IV > I Know What You Did Last Summer
The Host > Anaconda
Sweeney Todd > Scream
Pan's Labyrinth > The Relic
Grindhouse > Event Horizon
28 Weeks Later > Mimic
Wrong Turn 2 > An American Werewolf in Paris
Halloween > Wes Craven's Wishmaster
The Mist > Thinner

:D
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Hatchet > Scream 2
The Host > Anaconda
Sweeney Todd > Scream
Pan's Labyrinth > The Relic
28 Weeks Later > Mimic
Wrong Turn 2 > An American Werewolf in Paris
The Mist > Thinner

:D
I agree with every one of those EXCEPT maybe Mimic/28 Weeks, I loved Mimic. I think mine would be...

The Host > Anaconda
Pan's Labyrinth > Scream
The Orphanage > The Relic
Sweeney Todd > Mimic
Behind the Mask: The Rise and Fall of Leslie Vernon > An American Werewolf in Paris
Fido > Thinner
Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
I was just throwing some figures out there, the only real question I had was can you, personally, find 10 movies from 07' that were better than those in 97'?
Oh, oh ohhhhhh... I thought that you were asking me to compare the profit of 10 from '07 to the 10 from '97, and all I could think was, "You douche, you just did that."

hahaha

ok

Of this grouping, there's really two only that I would consider part of my favorite horror movies of all time, Scream and Event Horizon (though I haven't seen Relic or Mimic or Wishmaster).

With the rest of the list:
Scream 2
Anaconda
Thinner

I would say that I consider any movie from my top 10 of the year would outrank these for me, because I don't really consider any of the above to be particularly strong movies to begin with. And as much as I appreciate Scream, Severance definitely outranks it for me, and Planet Terror or 28 Weeks would outdo Event Horizon.

I appreciate your comparison's, Des. :)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Oh, oh ohhhhhh... I thought that you were asking me to compare the profit of 10 from '07 to the 10 from '97, and all I could think was, "You douche, you just did that."

hahaha

ok

Of this grouping, there's really two only that I would consider part of my favorite horror movies of all time, Scream and Event Horizon (though I haven't seen Relic or Mimic or Wishmaster).

With the rest of the list:
Scream 2
Anaconda
Thinner

I would say that I consider any movie from my top 10 of the year would outrank these for me, because I don't really consider any of the above to be particularly strong movies to begin with. And as much as I appreciate Scream, Severance definitely outranks it for me, and Planet Terror or 28 Weeks would outdo Event Horizon.

I appreciate your comparison's, Des. :)
Watch Mimic, very good movie and while it isn't Guillermo del Toro's best it's still a great watch.