Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
HDC Idol

2007 - A Surprisingly Good Year for Horror Movies

So I've already started 2007's Best/Worst thread, I figured that being a horror forum, it would only be right to single out last year's horror films.

Also, in light of the "Is the genre in trouble" thread, I feel as though I have to stick up for what has turned out to be a pretty damn good year for horror movies.

I honestly believe that 2007 was a phenomenal year for indie horror films. It wasn't just about low-budget, it was about deconstruction, introspection, and consideration of the genre as a whole. These movies took what has already been done and created the genre in a completely whole new light. Or, just did something completely different.

Chronogrl's Top 10 Horror movies of the year (in no particular order):
  • Bug
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Crazy Eights <- (After Dark Film Fest Flic)
  • Borderland <- (After Dark Film Fest Flic)
  • Mulberry Street <- (After Dark Film Fest Flic)
  • Fido
  • Planet Terror
  • The Host
  • Severance
  • Murder Party

I would recommend for any horror fan who has not seen these movies: Go see these movies.

The following films certainly deserve honorable mentions. While they did not make my top 10 horror list of the year, I recognize their importance in keeping the genre fresh, new, and inciteful.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Hatchet
  • Behind the Mask
  • Black Sheep
  • Sunshine
  • Death Proof

Even the Blockbusters were worthy of note last year. While I was hugely disappointed with all other summer Blockbusters (as I have already ranted about), I thought it was an outstanding year for Horror Blockbusters.

NOTE: The "Blockbusters" certainly weren't my favorite horror movies of the year (save "Sweeney Todd," which I have a HUGE weak spot for). I am not a huge fan of Hostel II, Saw IV, or Halloween, but I recognize their popularity within the horror community and would be ignorant if I completely omitted them from this list. And while yes, the argument can be that remakes and sequels do nothing but to tread ground, well, that's part of what makes this genre in the first place (think the Halloween, Friday 13th, Nightmare, Candyman, etc. franchises); these films are but following in their footsteps (be that good or bad) to keep that element of the horror genre alive.

Blockbusters:
  • Hostel II
  • Saw IV
  • Halloween
  • 30 Days of Night
  • Sweeney Todd
  • I Am Legend
  • The Mist

So my point is that, while a lot of critics will continuously knock the horror genre as being on a slippery slope to low or bad art, we should definitely recognize that, as a genre, horror is still swelling and has a lot of promise for continuing to hold its own.

How about you guys - Any other horror films that were worthy of note from this year? Any movies above that you would maintain were utter crap? Want to learn more about movies you haven't seen?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 02-13-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
mostly ghostly?

the orphanage was wonderful!
definitely one of the best i've seen in a while.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Behind the Mask was soo better than Severance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
the orphanage was wonderful!
definitely one of the best i've seen in a while.
That's true... I was throwing that in with 2008... It definitely belongs on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
Behind the Mask was soo better than Severance!
I like the deconstruction element of Behind the Mask. I thought it was incredibly smart, well-written and clever (a much smarter, more mature "Scream," if you will). However, I think it failed as a horror movie and the scares were incredibly uneven.

With Severance it didn't try to be too smart for it's own good, and kept the pacing and mood even.

HOWEVER, I recognize that Behind the Mask was an intelligent film, and it definitely deserves accolades.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

With Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead, 2008 is already looking good.

Not to mention the upcoming films from Carpenter and Argento;)

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Crystal Lake Slasher

Grindhouse as a whole was a great experience.
I wouldn't put Planet Terror and Death Proof as separate entities, because QT and Rodriguez put together one heck of a film, complete with fake trailers.

- Walter Savage Landor.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane_Hodder View Post
Grindhouse as a whole was a great experience.
I wouldn't put Planet Terror and Death Proof as separate entities, because QT and Rodriguez put together one heck of a film, complete with fake trailers.
I actually definitely agree with you there. The separation of the two was a weakness on my part, based on a conversation I had with my boyfriend, who argued that Planet Terror should be separated out.

But you're right; it was a movie experience in its entirety... Part of the meaning and humor that one derives from the second film comes from the fact that the actors are reused in different roles (something that Tarentino does purposefully and did in Kill Bill).

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I actually definitely agree with you there. The separation of the two was a weakness on my part, based on a conversation I had with my boyfriend, who argued that Planet Terror should be separated out.

But you're right; it was a movie experience in its entirety... Part of the meaning and humor that one derives from the second film comes from the fact that the actors are reused in different roles (something that Tarentino does purposefully and did in Kill Bill).
I actually think Death Proof was the best homage to an actual Grindhouse film and love both parts (the slasher film part and the revenge film part) of that movie. I do agree that the Grindhouse should be listed as one film though, I wouldn't even buy the DVDs separately.

Here's a list of horror films that were in theaters in 2007. Keep in mind this list is based on the genres the box office puts them in, for instance, Bug was classified by the box office as a drama. Also, Afterdark was counted in only one spot.

I am Legend
Saw IV
Halloween
30 Days of Night
Pan's Labyrinth
The Messengers
28 Weeks Later
The Mist
The Reaping
Grindhouse
The Hills Have Eyes II
Hostel: Part II
Dead Silence
P2
Black Christmas
Blood and Chocolate
Captivity
The Abandoned
Skinwalkers
Paprika
After Dark's Horrorfest 2007
Fido
The Orphanage
Rise: Blood Hunter
Black Sheep
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Last Winter
Wind Chill
The Tripper
Hatchet

That's 31 "films" that grossed $681,875,323. In 97' we only had 10 "horror" films...

Scream 2
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Anaconda
Scream
The Relic
Event Horizon
Mimic
An American Werewolf in Paris
Wes Craven's Wishmaster
Thinner

which oddly enough grossed $407,732,973 which is $595,165,777 adjusted for inflation. 21 movies make that difference only $86,709,546 granted some of the 31 were only limited releases and some are still in wide release. Just thought these numbers were kind of interesting.

Last edited by Despare; 02-15-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I am Legend
Saw IV
Halloween
30 Days of Night
Pan's Labyrinth
The Messengers
28 Weeks Later
The Mist
The Reaping
Grindhouse
The Hills Have Eyes II
Hostel: Part II
Dead Silence
P2
Black Christmas
Blood and Chocolate
Captivity
The Abandoned
Skinwalkers
Paprika
After Dark's Horrorfest 2007
Fido
The Orphanage
Rise: Blood Hunter
Black Sheep
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Last Winter
Wind Chill
The Tripper
Hatchet
Interesting. I guess Paprika would be considered horror... In that case, it definitely sneaks into my top 10. It would bump out Murder Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
That's 31 "films" that grossed $681,875,323. In 97' we only had 10 "horror" films...

Scream 2
Anaconda
Scream
The Relic
Event Horizon
Mimic Horror
Wes Craven's Wishmaster
Thinner

which oddly enough grossed $407,732,973 which is $595,165,777 adjusted for inflation. 21 movies make that difference only $86,709,546 granted some of the 31 were only limited releases and some are still in wide release. Just thought these numbers were kind of interesting.
Hmmm... I wonder if that means that the quality of horror is getting better... but... no one cares...

Then again, gross isn't really that much of a gage, especially since most of the ones that I absolutely adored were more limited release than the big ones.

I wonder if it's a good sign that there aren't huge horror blockbusters like there used to be?

I wonder how that reflects on America as a whole - Maybe they choose to internalize fear, pain, and anxiety as oppose to externalizing it in the form of going to see horror movies in the theater.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Interesting. I guess Paprika would be considered horror... In that case, it definitely sneaks into my top 10. It would bump out Murder Party.

Hmmm... I wonder if that means that the quality of horror is getting better... but... no one cares...

Then again, gross isn't really that much of a gage, especially since most of the ones that I absolutely adored were more limited release than the big ones.

I wonder if it's a good sign that there aren't huge horror blockbusters like there used to be?

I wonder how that reflects on America as a whole - Maybe they choose to internalize fear, pain, and anxiety as oppose to externalizing it in the form of going to see horror movies in the theater.
I don't know if it means horror is getting better financially.

$19,198,896 approx. per film gross in 07' compared to approx. $40,773,297 ($59,516,577 if you adjust for inflation) per movie in 97'. The test I suppose would be simple for us to do though. Simply take this list...

Scream 2
Anaconda
Scream
The Relic
Event Horizon
Mimic
Wes Craven's Wishmaster
Thinner

and place next to each movie a horror film in 07' that you think is better. If you can easily replace this list then for you, I suppose 07' was a better year.