Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
HDC Idol

Angry The PS3 Freezes TOO?!

So I just borrowed the God of War Collection from a friend at work and have been playing through the first game and having a blast when... THE DAMN THING FROZE ON ME... TWICE. :mad:

This happened with my 360 and the solution was to turn it vertically (of course then I tipped it over and scratched BioShock II, but that's besides the point!)... From what I understand this is expected behavior with the 360 (we've complained about its shoddy hardware before), but I was shocked to see it happen with the PS3.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any solutions? I just started the Googling, but I was hoping for some advice first hand.

Sigh - Apparently I have bad console luck. Hrmph.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I think all consoles freeze at some point in time.I thinks its just of those things that happen.I remember both my regualr Xbox and PS2 Freezing on me before.If it happens alot then you might have a problem but if its the one time I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 AM
For Vendetta

Could have been a bad disk. It hasn't happened to me yet, and I use it to watch my BD films too.

Could have been overheating too. Make sure the thing has plenty of ventilation, Chrono.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 AM
HDC Idol

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the ventilation... I'm going to do some serious dusting and make sure that I turn it off more often (I think I'm letting it overheat). :o

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
but I was shocked to see it happen with the PS3.
One of my last few jobs was for them...I really wouldn't be surprised at all...while they didn't quite have the numbers of the RROD type problems the 360 initially encountered, MANY got booked for repair/replacement.

Quote:
Has this happened to anyone before?
SO many.

Quote:
Any solutions? I just started the Googling, but I was hoping for some advice first hand.
Don't keep it in closed cupboards, don't run it for longer than 6 hours at a time, dust around it, don't keep it on carpet, or close to any other heat generating devices like VCRs and DVD players.
Also, try a "restore default settings" which shouldn't delete anything but has been known to clear a few performance issues up, you just need to change a few settings back when you're done - or if you don't mind copying off any files you don't have backed up elsewhere (save games included), and a longer process, you can do a complete format.
Get the latest firmware.
If problems persist on the ongoing, take it back or have it sent in.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I think all consoles freeze at some point in time.I thinks its just of those things that happen.I remember both my regualr Xbox and PS2 Freezing on me before.If it happens alot then you might have a problem but if its the one time I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Same for me. Also had that problem with the PSX, GC, GEN, SNES, NES, PC, etc.. It happens with every system.

Also, it may not be the system so much, as the game may have a precisely placed piece of microscopic dust, or a very light scratch/scuff. I've had brand new games that didn't play, and I've had some that are scratched so bad, that by all rights they shouldn't play, that did.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So I just borrowed the God of War Collection from a friend at work and have been playing through the first game and having a blast when... THE DAMN THING FROZE ON ME... TWICE. :mad:

This happened with my 360 and the solution was to turn it vertically (of course then I tipped it over and scratched BioShock II, but that's besides the point!)... From what I understand this is expected behavior with the 360 (we've complained about its shoddy hardware before), but I was shocked to see it happen with the PS3.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any solutions? I just started the Googling, but I was hoping for some advice first hand.

Sigh - Apparently I have bad console luck. Hrmph.

Thanks for your help in advance.
The only one I have never seen freeze even when left on over night was the Wii. I had Xbox 360 freeze countless times and fail. PS3 was not better.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Little Boo

yeah my ps3 has froze maybe 4 times. But Ive had it for over 3 years. Usually its because ive been playing it for 4 hours straight or i need to clean it out. Im really bad about keeping it dusty.