Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM
For Vendetta

The new XBox 360 250GB!

One day prior to the E3 Expo 2010, Microsoft announced the updated version of the Xbox 360 console. Simply called the Xbox 360 250GB, the new console features a number of changes, including smaller design, larger internal hard drive and Wi-Fi 802.11n support, among others.

For the new design, Microsoft has gone for a more angular look compared to the curvy design of the previous model. The new Xbox 360 250GB features a glossy all black design, which reminds us of the first generation PlayStation 3. It is now significantly smaller than the older version. Other aspects of the design are the presence of touch sensitive buttons instead of the mechanical buttons for the power and disc eject functions. Microsoft has also gone for a single larger fan design instead of the two smaller fans for lower noise during gameplay. Those who witnessed the console first hand noted that the new model is significantly quieter than the older one. For those who don't know, the older Xbox 360 was criticized for its higher noise levels during operation.

The new Xbox 360 250GB features a lot more connectivity options than before. You get five USB 2.0 ports, two of which are up front under the sliding panel and three are on the back. There is an AUX port for connecting accessories such as the Xbox 360 Kinect. An HDMI port is standard and so are the optical audio out and the proprietary AV connector found on the older consoles. And finally there is Wi-Fi 802.11n (the PlayStation 3 has 802.11b/g) built right in.

The new Xbox 360 250GB comes with a much smaller power brick compared to the older model. It is also much lighter than before and uses a new connector to connect to the console. Still, we would have preferred an internal power supply unit as on the PlayStation 3.

True to its name, the new Xbox 360 250GB comes with a 250GB HDD inside it. It is incompatible with the older hard drive though and it seems you cannot just use any laptop hard drive as you can on the PlayStation 3. You also cannot use older memory cards of the Xbox 360 with the new console. To transfer data from the old console to the new one, you can use a 16GB flash drive or the hard drive transfer cable (sold separately for $20).

Major improvements are noticeable in connectivity options as Wi-Fi (802.11n) module is integrated inside the console and no longer a separate accessory. This Wi-Fi module is capable of establishing single band 2.4GHz wireless connections. Apart from that the new Kinect for Xbox 360 device connector port lies on its back and also integrates HDMI for the first time. However, Microsoft hasn't included HDMI cable in the gaming console bundle. Microsoft has removed memory card ports, so no more buying those cards separately. However, you got to dump previously saved data on to a portable hard drive or flash drive to transfer on new Xbox 360's hard drive.

Now Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg noted at the E3 Expo that the new Xbox 360 is "fully 3D capable". However, the HDMI port on the back isn't an HDMI 1.4. Even the rival PlayStation 3 Slim has an HDMI 1.3 port.

But we certainly believe that Microsoft Kinect (previously known as Project Natal) will take most of your time instead of 3D games. On November 4, Microsoft Kinect will hit stores and so will the library of compatible games.

We know what your main concern with Xbox 360 is - the Red Ring of Death. That being a specific hardware issue, Microsoft has taken good care of that in the new Xbox 360 console. As per the info sheet provided to Joystiq, the new Xbox 360 is physically incapable of RRoD, but even if it does, you won't see a red light. Instead, the console will show a green light by default. We really hope Microsoft's Xbox hardware team has taken uttermost care with the new 45nm integrated CPU-GPU chipset.

The new Xbox 360 250GB has already gone on sale in U.S. and is available for $299. The older Xbox 360 is also on sale for $199 but may get an update.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Evil Dead

Meh. Seems to me like they're trying to win back all of the folks they lost to the PS3 when the RROD thing was an issue.

I have a 360 that I had to send back to Microsoft for the RROD, and I'd never sink another dime into another Microsoft gaming console until it was around for a while with no issues.
They screwed themselves to me, and it will take a while before I put trust in any gaming console they put out.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM
That fucking Guy...

My friend is getting this one shortly after release.
I don't much give a shit about it, but, I will be getting my friends old X360 for
$100 AUD, which is like, nothing.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I would like to have a new hard drive for mine.I've only got the original 12G and I'm constently having to delete stuff in order to fit new stuff on there.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I would like to have a new hard drive for mine.I've only got the original 12G and I'm constently having to delete stuff in order to fit new stuff on there.
Do they work with ext HDs?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Do they work with ext HDs?
I'm not sure if they do or not.I know you can now use flash drives like a memory card on them now.I once heard that you can transfer your stuff from one hard drive to another but I have no idea how.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
We know what your main concern with Xbox 360 is - the Red Ring of Death. That being a specific hardware issue, Microsoft has taken good care of that in the new Xbox 360 console. As per the info sheet provided to Joystiq, the new Xbox 360 is physically incapable of RRoD, but even if it does, you won't see a red light. Instead, the console will show a green light by default.
LOL that is hilarious.

No more red ring of death. Because the ring is no longer red.

Now wait for the new and improved green ring of death (GRoD)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
For Vendetta

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/708

After formally announcing Kinect for Xbox 360 at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2010 last week, Microsoft has finally put a price tag on it.

Now, you can find the controller free gaming device Kinect, previously codenamed as Project Natal, listed at the Microsoft Store website for pre-order.

With the refreshed slim Xbox 360, the Kinect connects directly through a special port while other Xbox 360 console users will have to buy a special cable. In the Kinect box, you'll find Kinect Sensor, power supply cable, Wi-Fi Extension cable and a user manual.

Do note that Microsoft Store is available only in select countries and the Kinect can be pre-ordered only from those nations.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...oduct/C737B081
Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM

That's not a bad price but i wonder how well it works?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Actually, the Kinect will probably convince me to buy an Xbox 360 if it performs up its promise.