Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-30-2016, 06:36 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
Yeah I remember that episode and that scene. I blew tea out of my nose when I heard that line.
Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
huh... I really enjoyed Civil War. Thought it dealt with a complicated issue with some sophistication, a little emotional depth, nice ending twist, and a lot of fun with the superhero battles and humor. The Cap/Stark ending fight as a little too long, but other than that, I thought it was an enjoyable episode.
I particularly loved the shout out to how much Widow and IronDick fucked up their relationship with Banner. It satisfied my inner fangirl disappointment from AoU.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Nice.

It didn't feel nice.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Immortal horror fan

Don't Blink -

I was going over the horror category listings looking for something short and good. I saw Don't Blink, a few actors that I recognize, and that it was barely 90 minutes. Also the abandoned setting description in the summary always sounds good to a horror fan so I gave this movie a try.

Don't Blink is very close to Triangle, The Mist, or a good Twilight Zone episode. I could swear I've seen a Star Trek episode like this movie too. But the movie is not unsettling enough in the end. If something like Triangle or those other examples can be around a 9 or 10 out of 10 in the sense of dread and despair at the end. Don't Blink is like a 6 or maybe 7. This sort of movie all depends on the ending and the clues provided when or if you decide to rewatch it. Or if you are very attentive during the first watch.

Maybe they didn't have enough money. Or the director who is also the writer ran out of ideas. The wiki has a link to an interview with the director which I read. But I still don't believe his reasons for making the ending a bit weak. And I've been searching around and feelings are mixed on the movie because of the ending.

SPOILERS!!!

There is a character that shows up at the end which basically tells you that this is a sci-fi government or aliens type of experiment area. So the movie is far more sci-fi leaning with psychological horror elements. The telling character is actually played by a Star Trek actor as well. He basically confirms that he knows what's going on and they are going around checking the area for whatever readings. It's a very large clue or answer if one didn't guess from a scene early in the movie that strange things are quickly happening in the environment that shouldn't be happening.

However there are some things, I guess you could call them oddities in the movie that make me want to know the story of the first group that were in the area. It's something similar movies would have shown to further the mystery. Or at least have the current group come across and attempt to solve the mystery while they are waiting around. For example, only the audience gets to see the physical warning messages that the first group left. Unless you count the hanging noose. As it stands, it makes the first group seem a bit smarter as they left those physical warnings and possibly attempted to leave the area.

There was a interesting, at least I thought at the time, tease that I thought the reveal might be related to Cthulhu. As one character has an octopus necklace and I think ring.

BIG SPOILER I THINK!

I also don't think it's a mistake that the first scene involves a character that has problems throwing up and also becomes comatose later in the movie. They are also the only one who knows when they are going to disappear. It's like some people getting sick while flying or scuba diving. Some do, some don't. But that's a tell that something is happening in the environment.

Also I'm sure people who watch Warehouse 13 recognize the actress here. Yet another sci-fi actress.

Maybe I'm wrong or I missed something. From what I've read on IMDB, few of them get the reveal of the final character and want things completely spelled out. That's fine sometimes. But also if the director leaves enough clues it's not always needed. But this is a good and short horror/sci-fi movie to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
I'll keep my eye out for predators.
There is a Predator fan film called Dark Ages. I would put that as the third best Predator movie.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.p...ges#post996086

The first Predator is still the best. Predator 2 is underrated and the second best. They couldn't go back to the jungle after the first movie. The near future and dystopia setting was a good twist. If you've seen the Lethal Weapon series, having that actor play a more aggressive character was also another twist.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
There is a Predator fan film called Dark Ages. I would put that as the third best Predator movie.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.p...ges#post996086

The first Predator is still the best. Predator 2 is underrated and the second best. They couldn't go back to the jungle after the first movie. The near future and dystopia setting was a good twist. If you've seen the Lethal Weapon series, having that actor play a more aggressive character was also another twist.
for me, in Predator 2, that whole long scene in the warehouse... so frickin boring. Speaking of the jungle being repetitive... everything in the warehouse was repetitive of what happened in the jungle. Repetitive "action" doesnt do it for me.

What was cool about Predator was learning about the alien, and outsmarting him, 1v1, at the end. Predator 2 had basically nothing new to offer.

A part 2 would have needed to go to their home world, or something major like that... a new story based on their existence. To my recollection, Predator 2 didnt even have a story.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Horror in general has attracted many non-horror fans this year. I mean, all the critically praised ones (and by audiences) were financial hits: The Shallows, The Purge: Election Year, Lights Out, The Conjuring 2... it's been a great year so far. I've been reading all over the internet that horror saved the summer box office.
Yeah, this is the first year in a long time where a good number of widely-released horror films are actually really good. 7 of my top 11 so far are box office movies, which is crazy. I think Hollywood finally realized you can make good horror, and since it's popular right now, people will pay to see it.

On the flip side, I've been a little disappointed in this year's independent releases, as compared to recent years.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Horror in general has attracted many non-horror fans this year. I mean, all the critically praised ones (and by audiences) were financial hits: The Shallows, The Purge: Election Year, Lights Out, The Conjuring 2... it's been a great year so far. I've been reading all over the internet that horror saved the summer box office.
I consider The Shallows a thriller and The Purge an action movie.
So that's only 2 horror movies. Imo it's been a weak year for horror so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
To my recollection, Predator 2 didnt even have a story.
A mysterious killer murdered criminals. Police are trying to find out who.
Especially when special agents appear. Later on a colleague/friend gets murdered and it becomes personal.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM
I am the turtle lord

Into The Mouth Of Madness.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Evil Sweat

I Am Not A Serial Killer (2016)
B
Pretty good. Like DeadbeatAt Dawn said, the location and the snow gave the whole movie something extra.
The town and its surroundings could be used for several horror movies.

Popstar: Never Stop Stopping (2016)
B/C
Spinal Tap-ish take on a former boysband member's solo career.
It wasn't bad and kinda funny but not haha funny.

The Neon Demon (2016)
E
Style over substance.
Like a bad 2 hour long music video.
I hated everyone in this.

@anglewitch
It might be useful for others if you also post what you think about the movies you watch. Doesn't have to be a review. A number, a letter, a word,...
Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
I Am Not A Serial Killer (2016)
B
Pretty good. Like DeadbeatAt Dawn said, the location and the snow gave the whole movie something extra.
The town and its surroundings could be used for several horror movies.

Popstar: Never Stop Stopping (2016)
B/C
Spinal Tap-ish take on a former boysband member's solo career.
It wasn't bad and kinda funny but not haha funny.

The Neon Demon (2016)
E
Style over substance.
Like a bad 2 hour long music video.
I hated everyone in this.

@anglewitch
It might be useful for others if you also post what you think about the movies you watch. Doesn't have to be a review. A number, a letter, a word,...
In The Mouth of Madness.

I liked it.
10/10
Old 09-01-2016, 01:13 PM
fanged menace

the dooms chapel horror

erm.....piss poor docu horror bollocks,80mins of slow no susoense shit followed by ten minsof haky handy cam drivel.poor acting,poor everything.

3/10

Tags
movie