Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 AM
Little Boo

Its a lot of fun and definitely worth reading. I think its more easily found on eBook than in stores though.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 AM
Evil Dead

Paul Tremblay: A Head Full Of Ghosts
A tale of demonic possession in the family
Old 08-12-2015, 07:02 AM
A VERY OLD BROAD

David Janssen - My Fugitive by Ellie Janssen

A biography of one of my favorite TV actors by his first wife.

He had a lot of demons in his life but you would never know it through the characters he plays.

The Fugitive is one of my all time favorite TV series. have all 4 years and watch them frequently.

HELL IN A DRESS!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Evil Dead

Still holdin' the top spot fer readin' more horror literature than anyone in this whole county!!
Just got these two in from the library today....

Ellen Datlow: Hauntings
A. Lee Martinez: Too Many Curses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rd.jpg (13.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

^ If I were an English teacher, that attachment would be poster size right smack dab in the middle of every wall.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Evil Dead

I quite agree...ever since reading "The Tell Tale Heart" in Seventh grade English class (skipping ahead) have really liked me some EA Poe. Think it may be time to plan another visit to the wonderful Poe House in Richmond VA. If you like the man's work, you will love visiting this.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Evil Dead

The book is a collection of short stories using the horror theme. The stories are meant to be light, funny, and entertaining.
They're not, they're just bad. Awful highschool level of writing quality. Nothing inventive, anybody could write them. So bad. Pass on it.
1/10
Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Evil Dead

First half: Very very good stories using themes in religions and horrifying them. Not to make statements socially/religiously, but just taking these themes and twisting them. Really excellent writing/ideas.

Second half: Scholarly essays. One on angels and demons and the possible origins of their myths/religious integration and how they're common themes throughout religion in general. This essay while maybe well researched, is a dull read. Also Cardin limited his scope to the middle east. No comparisons to African, Celtic, north/south/central American ancient religions, etc. It was a very western centric essay.
The other's didn't interest me. One that is a scholarly essay on Romero's movies. Sounds cool, but its just more the same as the above. The Last is about how a certain part of the bible can be read as horror....doesn't the entire thing, new or old, read like an epic horror novel?

edit:

Forgot, I wanted to give a quote from one of the short stories:

"God looks out through each of our eyes, an abyss of insatiable hunger and infinite teeth, and the dark light of His consciousness makes each of us a lamp that illuminates a new terrible truth."

Last edited by TheBossInTheWall; 08-20-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Little Boo

I'm reading the Shirley Jackson classic Haunting of Hill House.

I might sound crazy saying this, but it actually reminds me of Richard Laymon. There is no sex or gore, and the writing is far more poetic, but it has that same, "getting to know likable characters bonding through creepy events" feel that I used to love in his books.

A collection I'm chpping through at the same time is Wide Carnivorous Sky by John Langan. Very good, scary stories about Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires, Edgar allen Poe and Lovecraft.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonware View Post
I'm reading the Shirley Jackson classic Haunting of Hill House.

I might sound crazy saying this, but it actually reminds me of Richard Laymon. There is no sex or gore, and the writing is far more poetic, but it has that same, "getting to know likable characters bonding through creepy events" feel that I used to love in his books.

A collection I'm chpping through at the same time is Wide Carnivorous Sky by John Langan. Very good, scary stories about Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires, Edgar allen Poe and Lovecraft.
The Legend of Hill House reminded me of Richard Matheson. Not sure why though. Such a good book.

I'll check out the collection, ty.