Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Living Dead

Teeth

I loved this movie! Funny and unnerving. I suggest everyone run out and rent this modern classic. It's horror/satire of the highest degree.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Whale View Post
I loved this movie! Funny and unnerving. I suggest everyone run out and rent this modern classic. It's horror/satire of the highest degree.
I loved it too but it really seems to divide audiences. I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like it but for me it was a darkly funny, layered, intelligent "horror" film.

Last edited by Despare; 05-30-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I found it to be disarmingly sweet and a great story more in line with a superhero origin story than a horror movie. I'm none too happy about a few sloppy plot points, but I found the whole to be charming and fun and gross and I recommend it highly.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 05-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Analrapist

Could have been so much more. Great premise, poorly explored and executed. Was a bit disappointed.

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:03 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire1 View Post
Could have been so much more. Great premise, poorly explored and executed. Was a bit disappointed.
That's how I felt about it, too... I honestly thought that it would have made a brilliant short film as opposed to a full-length feature. I felt as though the movie was definitely uneven, going from dark comedy to strictly pulp at times and I thought that the balance was not done well.

As an allegory for not men's but women's fear of their own sexuality, I thought it was poignant, clever, and actually important (it honestly makes me sad that there is a social stigma tied to female sexuality and that far too many young girls are afraid of their own hormones). What disappointed me was that this allegory turned quickly into pulp revenge where I was more interested in the monster itself.

Also, I never thought that I'd find myself saying this, but, not all men are creeps, and I found it unbelievable that every man that she had a sexual encounter with in the movie was sketchy. It definitely counteracted the point of female sexual discovery to create a world of sexual predators around her. It's more poignant to have her make her own decisions; decide who's "good," "bad," to be trusted, etc. Part of growth is learning to discover what is a monster and what is safe, and what's the lesson learned if everything is a monster? I understand the hero allegory, but I didn't think that it worked in this context. It would have been more realistic that, as she came into her own sexuality, she found an Other who was trust worthy and who she could use her sexuality for good.

But the movie went the other way.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Scares Little Kids

I thought it had potential, I always fall for the covers that state it's won awards for something or other. It was worth renting, but not if you have to pay almost 5 bucks, I have Blockbuster moviepass so I'm not too peeved at renting this.
An American Werewolf in London
Friday the 13th
Pumpkin Head
Shaun of the Dead
Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood
the Sixth Sense
Pet Sematary
Seven
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I kick ass for the lord

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, even if its bad I want to see it just to say I did.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperShark View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, even if its bad I want to see it just to say I did.
It has cult classic written all over it. I predict it doesn't sell much on DVD but in about 5 years people start remembering it in try to find it again. In about 8 years the DVDs will start selling for high dollars on an auction site (which may or may not be called EBay still). Then in 10 years, they will re-release it and youngsters will be excited about it posting like mad in the upcoming movie section (in _V_'s DVD thread).
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Despare is the new ms. Cleo.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Dark Minds Wanted

Send a message via Yahoo to Greenthorn
I have yet to see it, but have heard many good reviews, mostly about it's originality...so I'll be personally hunting it down:D