Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Evil Dead

I refer you to my thread title!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Do you oppose humor in your horror.
Certainly not. I love Return of the Living Dead and Trick 'R Treat.

As I said, though, the humor turned me off less than the Dream Powers, and I can't recall ever really disliking Freddy himself. I loved Freddy Vs Jason.

I guess that leads us into a problem discussing humor. There's not much for me to say about the humor in the later movies other than "I didn't laugh." It's very subjective.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Pirate of Bengal

It's kinda sad & frustrating that after all these years and particularly as lately Wes Craven passed away, now we're having this discussion here!!
But the world would have been a totally different place if we all had the same taste & opinion, so we have to deal with this sort of shits sometime.

Anyway to put it in short & simple, like any other slasher or horror movie film series ANOES also got some unnecessary & terrible sequels where at times they indeed focused too much on 'funny Freddy' or whatever but this is nothing but simple arrogance to say there's nothing iconic about Freddy Krueger or "Freddy Sucks"! I don't understand how much standard of knowledge & taste it requires for someone to understand that the concept & presentation of Freddy Krueger is one of the most original & fascinating creations we have in our beloved genre. If we even put aside his character attributes, looks & iconic razor gloves; where most other major iconic characters i.e Jason, Leatherface or Michael Myers are at times like unstoppable killing machines, Freddy on the other hand is way more unpredictable, like Repo said, he has his own domain in every victim's cruelest nightmare where he often plays with their darkest fear. Now if that doesn't make him interesting or iconic to some horror fan then I've to say he/she may have some other funny reasons.

For any great & deserving character in the process to become an 'Icon' among the genre fans, doesn't require a whole bunch of series of stories or films; one single great original story is enough. Horror movie iconic characters like Jason, Michael, Leatherface as well as Freddy would have still treated as HORROR ICON if they even never made those sequels (& remake) back then & till now.

Last edited by roshiq; 09-09-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 AM
Evil Dead

Good points. Firstly I have no arguemenrs over wes craven as a person, in fact I love many of his films, especially scream and last house on the left. Nextly if its mor to do with the amount of films, and is based on just one, then there should be numerous other ones, where's cropsy for starters? The story is original, but only to the point of it would involving dreams. From what i remember there isnt a bif amiubt of back story, and his malevolence us downpkayed in favour if nit very goid humour.A slasher villain, in a hat, with a clawed glove isn't exactly a world away from other slasher villains.

Last edited by neilold; 09-10-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Evil Dead

What other slasher villain can do this?
Old 09-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Evil Dead

For me, I think Freddy became an icon cause he was around when I was a teenager and I don't think that most of the younger generation will enjoy him as much. I own all of the movies and they will always be collectibles to me; I also have his figure still in a box.

Yes, his lines are goofy and some of the killings may seem a bit cheezy but that's who Freddy is and it's hard for me not to like him! Everyone always remembers him for the hat, sweater, knife fingers, and the burnt skin. How many people don't know him due to these famous trademarks??

Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
For me, I think Freddy became an icon cause he was around when I was a teenager and I don't think that most of the younger generation will enjoy him as much. I own all of the movies and they will always be collectibles to me; I also have his figure still in a box.

Yes, his lines are goofy and some of the killings may seem a bit cheezy but that's who Freddy is and it's hard for me not to like him! Everyone always remembers him for the hat, sweater, knife fingers, and the burnt skin. How many people don't know him due to these famous trademarks??
Well said. And as comical as Freddy can be sometimes, I still wouldn't want to end up in a room alone with him. That to me says he may be cheesy sometimes yes, but he never totally lost what made him really scary.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:58 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
It's kinda sad & frustrating that after all these years and particularly as lately Wes Craven passed away, now we're having this discussion here!!
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
What I liked about Freddy is that he never felt like a generic bogeyman. He had a personality throughout the entire series, while slashers like Jason or Michael Myers were just disposable serial killers without any personality.
Which goes to show a great actor is key to making an iconic character. How many different actors played Micheal or Jason? More than one for both of them. A handful even. Freddy though? Robert Englund. He made Freddy. Gave him the personality that sets him apart from other slashers. You can't just put anyone in that get up and have the same effect like Jason or Micheal have.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Evil Dead

Jason and Michael never speak and are relentless and unrecognisable, that's why its easy to swap actors. With freddie it would be virtually instantly recognisable. Either way it it doesn't make him a horror icon. Nobody has yet to answer why cropsy and the bloke from the prowler, or even harry warden aren't equal icons or why they shouldnt be. As for the clip what other villain could do that, well any kind of entity and a director with a reasonable budget

Last edited by neilold; 09-11-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Evil Dead

like said i don't hate freddie, or necessarily all the movies, i just don't think he's an icon any more than any other slasher villain