Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
For Vendetta

Revenge flicks

This is in response to another thread with a poll I made earlier in the General Forum. (those of you who read that one will know what I am about to say) There are so many great ones, and I am sure most of you folks know many of em.

My question is - in a movie, if a side-plot is concerned about vengeance or revenge, can it be classified under this category? (If so, then The Godfather can be safely assumed to be the best revenge/vengeance movie ever made)

Secondly, should Kill Bill Vol.1 and Vol.2 be considered as a single movie and not two?

Thirdly, can comedy-revenge movies also cover this category?

And finally, before Alky and paws_the_great go "whoopity whoo", yes its about a project which is currently "in development". Thats all I ll say, for now.;)

Any/all responses are welcome.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
mostly ghostly?

1. it probably depends on how much the "revenge/vengeance" part is focused on, which i guess would be left up to discretion. but overall, i'd say yes.

2. i'd say the kill bills should be considered two separate movies, just since the first one ended on a cliffhanger, they were released separately, etc.

3. yes, i think so.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
1. it probably depends on how much the "revenge/vengeance" part is focused on, which i guess would be left up to discretion. but overall, i'd say yes.
Like for example, Die Hard With A Vengeance had a revenge sub-plot...same goes for the final 15-20 minutes of Cruel Intentions...can these be categorised as out-and-out revenge flicks too?

And does the hard-hitting Peckinpah masterpiece, Straw Dogs, make a spot in this category as well?

Where should the line be drawn...is where I am stuck.:confused:
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Like for example, Die Hard With A Vengeance had a revenge sub-plot...same goes for the final 15-20 minutes of Cruel Intentions...can these be categorised as out-and-out revenge flicks too?

And does the hard-hitting Peckinpah masterpiece, Straw Dogs, make a spot in this category as well?

yeah, that's definitely tough.

i guess i'd say no to the first two. "straw dogs" is hard though, because, while he does get revenge, he doesn't really go out and get revenge. haha, this really is hard. okay, i'd say yes on "straw dogs."

i don't think there's any way to make it easier though. i think you'd just have to have seen the movie in question and use your own judgment.

here's a last-resort idea- go to imdb and look up the film in question. if the revenge part of the movie is important enough to be listed in the "plot keywords" section, then it could be considered a revenge flick.

for example: "once upon a time in the west,"
http://imdb.com/title/tt0064116/keywords

Last edited by fortunato; 10-03-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Yeah...I agree...you don't want to paint too broad a stroke with the revenge scenerio. It could drive you crazy....I mean you could say that Jason was getting "revenge" on the camp counselors everytime he killed.

I would keep them more in line with the aforementioned "Once Upon a Time in the West" or "Deathwish" type movies.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Fear scented candle

High Plains drifter... Pale Rider... Definately revenge flicks

Sudden Impact: not necesarrily a revenge flick, although the primary "antagonist" is getting revenge. I think in order for it to actually qualify as a revenge movie, the primary character must be seeking revenge, and that is the underriding theme of the entire movie.

Although you dont know it until the end

***********SPOILER ALERT***********

Lucky Number Slevin is most definately a revenge movie.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

I think it should be a basic premise of the story line, not something that occurs towards the end...

Half a movie maybe, but not 10 -15 minutes.

Kill Bill was meant to be one movie, but I would only count them as seperate entity's since that is how they where put before us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
~¤Nevermore¤~

Kill Bill is most definitely one movie released in two parts. Sudden Impact would be a revenge movie as would Dirty Harry be (both do have a revenge sideline which drives the entire movie forward).

Putting The Godfather in such company might be stretching it a bit. Of course the mafioso are known for their revenge and Michael does his part, but overall The Godfather may be opted out.

If the motive of vengeance and revenge is imperative towards the movie's overall effect, I say include it.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Crystal Lake Slasher

Most of Clint Eastwood's westerns do have a revenge twist in them.
Kill Bill's entire storyline was very similar to Lady Snowblood, an asian revenge film.
Come to think of it, there are tons of films with revenge as their basic script. Make sure you choose the good ones, and not many of those Van Damme and Seagal type vengeance and no-brainer action films.

- Walter Savage Landor.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
For Vendetta

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I think I am getting a better picture now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Yeah...I agree...you don't want to paint too broad a stroke with the revenge scenerio. It could drive you crazy....I mean you could say that Jason was getting "revenge" on the camp counselors everytime he killed.
I totally agree. In that vein, Taxi Driver and Falling Down would be considered great revenge flicks...but technically, they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
If the motive of vengeance and revenge is imperative towards the movie's overall effect, I say include it.
If you put that down as a criteria, what about Marv's storyline in Sin City? Is that good enough for the flick to be included in this?

EDIT :- What about Carrie? Is that a revenge-driven flick or a girl's powers gone out of control?

This is still slightly debatable...but I think I am seeing the validity of a particular flick for qualifying into this category.

Anything else?

Last edited by _____V_____; 10-03-2007 at 11:12 AM.