Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2007, 11:35 AM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
School bans Halloween

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Moscow schools have been ordered to ban students from celebrating Halloween despite the widespread popularity of the imported festival to Russia.

Halloween is being forced underground because it "includes religious elements, the cult of death, the mockery of death," a spokesman for the city's education department Alexander Gavrilov said Wednesday.

"It's not an attempt to block the celebration of this holiday completely, just in schools and colleges," he added.

Pumpkins and images of witches are widespread across Russia, with many bars organizing special fancy dress parties, despite the efforts of the Kremlin, and especially the Russian Orthodox Church, to curb enthusiasm for non-native festivities.

"This is destructive for the minds and the spiritual and moral health of pupils," said Gavrilov.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Token Black Guy

What a prick.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Evil Dead

I say that I don't get behind schools endorsing the event to the point that the regular syllabus is ignored, but hey...as long as it's ok to preach religion and "moral health", then at least acknowledgement of the history of the event and a bit of fun with it, should be able to go down...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I say that I don't get behind schools endorsing the event to the point that the regular syllabus is ignored, but hey...as long as it's ok to preach religion and "moral health", then at least acknowledgement of the history of the event and a bit of fun with it, should be able to go down...
You think they're preaching religion there? When I read they were banning it partly because "includes religious elements" it struck me as the opposite. They want anything religious kept from the school. We had a similar thing around this area where a kid was told he couldn't dress as Jesus because it was a religious costume. Yes, there were still kids dressed like the devil. It's not freedom of religion it's freedom FROM religion. Banning Halloween is just wrong, if it were my school I'd still show up dressed up, hell maybe I'd dress up on OTHER days.