Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 AM
HDC Idol

XBox 360 SciFi Game Recs

So I finally beat BioShock, which I thought was an absolutely brilliant game. It combines three of my favorite themes: Science Fiction, Post-Apocalypse, and eugenics. It creates a new macabre world and your character has to become a monster in order to survive.

But the question is, now that it's done... What next?

Are there any other games out there like BioShock? I'm relatively new to the XBox and would like to hear personal recommendations to accompany the Google-searching I've been doing. Gears of War has come to mind, but I'm not sure how heavy it is with story and graphics.

Can anyone recommend games for the XBox 360 that are similar to BioShock?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So I finally beat BioShock, which I thought was an absolutely brilliant game. It combines three of my favorite themes: Science Fiction, Post-Apocalypse, and eugenics. It creates a new macabre world and your character has to become a monster in order to survive.

But the question is, now that it's done... What next?

Are there any other games out there like BioShock? I'm relatively new to the XBox and would like to hear personal recommendations to accompany the Google-searching I've been doing. Gears of War has come to mind, but I'm not sure how heavy it is with story and graphics.

Can anyone recommend games for the XBox 360 that are similar to BioShock?
Nothing exactly like it on the 360 but I will say this, the Orange Box (with the HL:2 stuff) and FEAR are both amazing and really deliver on both action and narrative. Play System Shock 1 & 2 for the PC though, Bioshock is a spiritual sequel to those games. Also, the Deus Ex games, both are FPS games with RPG type elements and physical modification. The second game (Deus Ex: Invisible war http://xbox.ign.com/articles/442/442573p1.html) is available on the XBox and is an amazing game.

IGN Quote - "A realistic science fiction world with intuitive and meaningful consequences for your actions? Other developers should steal this idea."

I can't WAIT for #3!!!

http://www.deusex3.com/

You might like some of the other horror and/or sci-fi FPS games but really they seem to draw split reviews. Prey, Perfect Dark Zero, Timeshift, Dark Sector, and Clive Barker's Jericho just to name a few.

Last edited by Despare; 06-24-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Jericho and Timeshift where huge let downs.Horrible just horrible.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Jericho and Timeshift where huge let downs.Horrible just horrible.
They were ok, just not as good as the hype.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Nothing exactly like it on the 360 but I will say this, the Orange Box (with the HL:2 stuff) and FEAR are both amazing and really deliver on both action and narrative. Play System Shock 1 & 2 for the PC though, Bioshock is a spiritual sequel to those games. Also, the Deus Ex games, both are FPS games with RPG type elements and physical modification. The second game (Deus Ex: Invisible war http://xbox.ign.com/articles/442/442573p1.html) is available on the XBox and is an amazing game.

IGN Quote - "A realistic science fiction world with intuitive and meaningful consequences for your actions? Other developers should steal this idea."

I can't WAIT for #3!!!

http://www.deusex3.com/

You might like some of the other horror and/or sci-fi FPS games but really they seem to draw split reviews. Prey, Perfect Dark Zero, Timeshift, Dark Sector, and Clive Barker's Jericho just to name a few.
Thanks, Des.

System Shock I have heard SO much about, I might have to dust off my home PC and play it (currently I'm using my work laptop for recreational computing, so I am wary of downloading anything onto it). From what other fans of BioShock say about it as well as reviews that I've read... Good GOD it sounds like a fantastic game.

I've also heard amazing things about Half Life, but the impression that I get is that it's more strictly first-person shooter... Am I right about that?

FEAR is one of those many games that look STUNNING and COMPELLING to me, but I am afraid they will scare the FUCK out of me... But I am still oddly drawn to them.

Deus Ex: Invisible War looks fantastic. We still have to download the patch so that we can play regular Xbox games on our 360... :o

I've put off gaming for a while to play with the new kitty... With the long holiday weekend, though... Mayhaps I shall pick up the controller yet again...

Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Mass Effect

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
Mass Effect
Yeah, that one is definitely on my list, actually. I ordered Assassin's Creed and then discovered Mass Effect. Wish I had ordered that one, actually (sure, one can own more than one game at once... But I really am trying to save money).

Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Jericho and Timeshift where huge let downs.Horrible just horrible
Agreed on Jericho....good concept, VERY poor execution. After the great "Undying", this game pissed me right off.
Timeshift, I haven't put too much time into, I'd agree with THIS one being just "not as good as the hype".

As for recos...is Dark Sector on 360?
I know there's a couple coming out that you might like called "Legendary" and "Dead Space", again part of the SCIFI FPS genre.

HalfLife is a FPS, yes, but with a "sci-fi movie" type setting. I loved the first one, and wouLd recommend strongly trying to pick up a cheap "GOTY edition" that comes with all of the expansions for #1.
#2, and the episodes of #2 (expansions), look great, use some awesome physics, and are quite scary, but overall (many will disagree) I preferred the overall storyline and playthrough of the first one.
If you liked the first one, check out the "orange box" that contains #2, all the eps, and an interesting game called PORTAL.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
HDC Idol

Dark Sector is available on the 360... And, in fact, every time we go to Blockbuster to look at the used games, I keep picking it up... My only concern is that if I buy it, I'll pussy out (then again, I did manage to make it through Bioshock). I'll take it under consideration.

The boyfriend really used to be into Half Life... Maybe I'll pick up an older copy (hopefully for cheap) and check it out. It seriously gets good recs.

As for Mass Effect, we just started playing it and I'm already bored. :( Call me crazy but part of the purpose of a video game is to grab the player immediately, right? Oof.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
sorry you didnt like Mass Effect. I was intigued by all the crazy alien species and weapons, armors ect. not to mention cover combat, which is a personal favorite of mine. i also love upgrades and such. pretty much anything that mixes shooters with rpg elements is good in my books, but i have to admit, it has wore kinda thin for me.

Click for B-Movie reviews!