Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 AM
HDC Idol

Survival Horror Recommendations for the 360

This thread is really a follow up thread to this thread that I created two months ago. The reason why I'm creating a new thread is that, after some extensive game playing, I've learned that the genre that I'm actually after is Survival Horror as opposed to Sci Fi (and I want to make sure that I'm getting the attention of fellow Survival Horror video game fans).

My favorite games for the 360 so far (in this order):
  1. BioShock - Brilliant graphics, gameplay, plot and story. Can't wait for the movie, either.
  2. Condemned II: Bloodshot - Amazing graphics and compelling storyline. Loved the CSI element and clever choice of melee weapons
  3. Condemned I: Criminal Origins - Definitely more horrific than its sequel, I thought that this was a strong start of the franchise, but I thought the second did it better. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.
  4. The Darkness - Some sketchy UI, but nicely dark and compelling. I hope that they come out with a sequel that works out some of the kinks.

Any other recommendations that fall under Survival Horror?
(I have to give a personal shout out to Mothman and VC for getting me into The Darkness and Condemned games - Thanks, guys)

Des recommended the following in the original thread that seem to fall under Survival Horror:
  • Prey
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Timeshift
  • Dark Sector
  • Clive Barker's Jericho

Des and Co. - Mind elaborating on the games above? Strengths? Weaknesses? Add to the list? I've read some pretty poor reviews of Clive Barker's Jericho (and if I recall, Freak and Phalanx were disappointed). I guess my big question is, do these flaws outnumber the strengths?

I'm also really intrigued by the new Alone in the Dark game for the 360, though I've read some reviews and complaints that this one also has some execution issues. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

SO. I'd love to hear your personal Survival Horror Recs. I'm new both to the genre and 360 gaming, so I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance. :D

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
This thread is really a follow up thread to this thread that I created two months ago. The reason why I'm creating a new thread is that, after some extensive game playing, I've learned that the genre that I'm actually after is Survival Horror as opposed to Sci Fi (and I want to make sure that I'm getting the attention of fellow Survival Horror video game fans).

My favorite games for the 360 so far (in this order):
  1. BioShock - Brilliant graphics, gameplay, plot and story. Can't wait for the movie, either.
  2. Condemned II: Bloodshot - Amazing graphics and compelling storyline. Loved the CSI element and clever choice of melee weapons
  3. Condemned I: Criminal Origins - Definitely more horrific than its sequel, I thought that this was a strong start of the franchise, but I thought the second did it better. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.
  4. The Darkness - Some sketchy UI, but nicely dark and compelling. I hope that they come out with a sequel that works out some of the kinks.

Any other recommendations that fall under Survival Horror?
(I have to give a personal shout out to Mothman and VC for getting me into The Darkness and Condemned games - Thanks, guys)

Des recommended the following in the original thread that seem to fall under Survival Horror:
  • Prey
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Timeshift
  • Dark Sector
  • Clive Barker's Jericho

Des and Co. - Mind elaborating on the games above? Strengths? Weaknesses? Add to the list? I've read some pretty poor reviews of Clive Barker's Jericho (and if I recall, Freak and Phalanx were disappointed). I guess my big question is, do these flaws outnumber the strengths?

I'm also really intrigued by the new Alone in the Dark game for the 360, though I've read some reviews and complaints that this one also has some execution issues. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

SO. I'd love to hear your personal Survival Horror Recs. I'm new both to the genre and 360 gaming, so I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance. :D
Perfect Dark Zero is not a horror game at all. Think of it like playing a James Bond game, but replace the characters, with the cartoon mascot characters of ESurance.

Timeshift is also not a horror game. It's dark, but it's Sci-Fi.

Prey I just got back from Gamestop with. It is more horror than the others mentioned.

Jericho is pretty horror oriented, but I haven't played enough of it to elaborate.

Dark Sector is very similar to Gears Of War.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 AM
HDC Idol

This is why you're one of my favorite people. :D

Did you ever finish Condemned II? What did you think? I'm also curious as to what you think of Prey. That one I've had my eyes on for a while.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
This is why you're one of my favorite people. :D

Did you ever finish Condemned II? What did you think? I'm also curious as to what you think of Prey. That one I've had my eyes on for a while.
Not yet. I'm still working on it. I haven't had a lot of time to play games lately. The only reason I picked these last few up, were because they were cheap and in good condition.

Prey is only $3.99. I'd suggest picking it up anyway.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Condemned II was pretty kick ass.Alot better grpahics and story lines than the first.

Prey really depends on the person.I liked some parts of it and some I didn't.I like how you never really die you just go to some spirit world for a second or two and then start right back where you left off.Some of the weapons are pretty wild looking also.

Some of the levels can get confusing with the roatating rooms and moving floors and such.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Condemned II was pretty kick ass.Alot better grpahics and story lines than the first.

Prey really depends on the person.I liked some parts of it and some I didn't.I like how you never really die you just go to some spirit world for a second or two and then start right back where you left off.Some of the weapons are pretty wild looking also.

Some of the levels can get confusing with the roatating rooms and moving floors and such.
I was just watching a video review of Prey and the graphics and UI look great - Does it have a good story/plot that goes along with it? Or is it purse shoot-em-up? I also am leaning toward this game because it was put out by 2K Games, who did BioShock.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Yes it actually has a very good story to it with a little shoot em up thrown in.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Evil Puppy

I recommended those as first person shooter with a sci-fir or horror twist that you might be looking for, not just survival horror! :)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM

Something you might want to look into that is pretty gory and horror related is Gears of War.Love that game.Chainsaw someone in half just makes you feel good.

Also some stuff to look forward to inot the future is Gears 2,Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead.Oh and even though I wasn't to impressed by the trailer,Dead Space.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Something you might want to look into that is pretty gory and horror related is Gears of War.Love that game.Chainsaw someone in half just makes you feel good.

Also some stuff to look forward to inot the future is Gears 2,Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead.Oh and even though I wasn't to impressed by the trailer,Dead Space.
A lot of people weren't impressed by the DS trailer but my brother told me a lot of people thought it was the best game shown at the Gamestop conference.