Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Cenobiter

Dario Argento

I wanted to make the first post in the new forum. :D

What is your favorite Argento movie?

I'm not sure what my very favorite movie of his is, but "Terror at the Opera" has some of the coolest imagery I've seen in a horror movie.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Let the bashing begin. I don't like the films Argento has directed. He did write Demons though so I'll give him credit for that crazy ass film.

The only Argento-directed film I have thoroughly enjoyed is Two Evil Eyes. The Black Cat segment he did was wonderful.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I too am not much of an Argento fan. I have only caught two of his flicks Deep Red and Suspiria and I hated both of them. I think his stuff is definitely an acquired taste because he does have lots of fans
Old 10-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Hellraiser

you're right Tony, Argento's films are an aquired taste.. and i've aquired it. lol
Argento is one of my favorite directors.
i'll admit that the acting can be a little cheesy and the blood is a bright bright red at times... but the deaths in his movies are like art, the colors and the atmosphere he creates are visually stunning.
at first i didn't like Argento.. the first film i ever saw of his was The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, it was strange to say the least and i was left thinking... wtf??
but then i saw Demons and thought maybe he's not too bad, so i checked out Suspiria... the acting left something to be desired, but it was the imagery that made me want to see it again. so far i've seen a number of his films and have become quite a fan. i think once you get past the acting and the partially dubbed english and focus on the artistic aspects of the films you might become a fan also.
Argento's films aren't for everyone.. even i don't like all of his films, but i appreciate the effort he puts into them.
Btw.. my favorite movie of his has to be The Stendhal Syndrome... or okay, Demons. lol
Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life.
But why would I want to do a thing like that?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
See, I love Demons cuz Argento didn't direct it. He only wrote it. I like the sequel too.

Have you seen Tenebre??? This is about the only one left I want to see (mainly cuz John Saxon is in it).
Old 10-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Evil Dead

Argento

Count me in as one of the few who just can't get into Argento's work. I've always felt that his movies are extreme cases of "style over substance," though I do agree that they are wickedly beautiful and of course this is all just my opinion.

For the record, I do like SUSPIRIA a lot, and plan on buying it soon. That's about the only one I dig, though . . . .

James N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
Old 10-26-2003, 06:33 AM
Cryptkeeper

Re: Argento

Quote:
Originally posted by dmihatmttl
Count me in as one of the few who just can't get into Argento's work. I've always felt that his movies are extreme cases of "style over substance," though I do agree that they are wickedly beautiful and of course this is all just my opinion.

For the record, I do like SUSPIRIA a lot, and plan on buying it soon. That's about the only one I dig, though . . . .

James N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
I feel the same way you do about Argento except I hated Suspiria. The one Argento movie I liked was Two Evil Eyes. Romero directed the first story and Argento directed the second one. Pretty impressive. Good flick.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Evil Dead

I am a big Argento Fan.. I love about all of his movies. I am really into Italian horror. I love everything from "Deep Red" to "The Church"

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Evil Dead

I definitely loved Suspiria because of the art direction, sets, and the music. Goblins rock! Very spooky. The story was a bit weak though. I did like Jessica Harper and enjoyed her in Phantom of the Paradise too. I have yet to see any others by him though.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Evil Dead

I don't like Argento's giallo stuff too much; just not my cup of tea.

Suspiria was great, a little weak at times, but the visuals and music pay off. Style over substance, that's me...

I wanted to like Inferno better but it just felt a little more rushed and crude than Suspiria. Inferno did flesh out the 'three mothers' story more... there was supposed to be a third one! but Argento and Claudia Niccola had a falling out.

Two Evil Eyes was cool, though Harvey Keitel seemed pretty surprised to find himself in a horror film.

Did you know that Argento co-wrote Sergio Leone's Once upon a time in the west?