Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Nightmares? Fear of Sleep?

I just lisetened to a erally interesting and odd episode of "This American Life" on NPR and it was all about people who fear sleep.

One complained about being scarred by having walked in on friend's parents having sex (and not understanding it) while attending a sleepover. Another confronted his own father about letting him watch THE SHINING with him late at night when he was six years old.

***SIDE NOTE***
Personally I don't know why either of these things would upset any but the most repressed personalities. My own children know about sex and death and the difference between fantasy & reality and they love watching horror movies with me with no ill effects.

I tend to have nightmares maybe a half dozen times a year, but being a writer, I appreciate them (after the fact) as a wonderful tool, so I wouldn't consider a problem.

How about all of you?

Nightmares?

Fear of sleep?

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 AM
For Vendetta

Other than the occasional once-in-a-full-moon one about big, hairy raging beasts ripping human flesh apart and loud howling...

...none.

I sleep like a log, and through bombs exploding. Maybe its because my whole day makes me tired as heck by the time I hit the pillows.

Most of the nights its a long, dreamless sleep.
And most of the days are nightmares...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 AM
No charge for awesomeness

I smoke too much and never remember my dreams, good or bad. *shrug*
Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
I have awful and VERY vivid nightmares regularly, and no I don't sleep well. I stay tired, but kind of used to it, I just don't like to sleep much, though I am a little better about it now. Usually I sleep better for an hour or two nap than I do at night, and often during the night I find myself waking up every hour or so. I talk and cry in my sleep, sometimes scream (and the first time this happened while living here, it completely freaked my husband out...LOL...because apparently I was babbling pretty incoherently and he couldn't actually tell it was ME for a minute).

I write as well, and it has helped with a story or two....but I can't say I appreciate them. This has been REALLY bad for me at times. And I'm pretty sure why I have them and it isn't because of horror movies :p, but can't really see that I can do anything about it. And I tend to shy away from taking sleeping pills.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I have nightmares all the time. Right before going to sleep, I always get these terrifying images that I have to fight off to get to sleep completely. Used to have Night Terrors too, but not so much anymore.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
That fucking Guy...

The acid reflux related choking thing is something I'm constantly concerned about...I mean it doesn't stop me sleeping, but I just know it'll happen again at some point.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Top Of The World Ma!!

i cant consider my dreams to be nightmares ... even when they are 'scary' i think they are like movies - pretty cool.

i did go through a bout of fearing sleep a while back ... i was getting acid in my throat - plus i was going through the 'dealing with mortality' thing ...

but since i'bve gone back to playing volleyball - getting back in shape - i'm to damn exhausted and distracted to do anything other than sleep like a rock recently.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Token Black Guy

Nightmares aren't that bad. Night terrors are worse... for me anyway, when I know I'm dreaming and there's nothing specific or identifiable I'm scared of, but an intense sensation of fear that something intelligent and malignant is near me, something amorphous and without form but somehow real.

Well, those and the zuni doll from trilogy of terror. That thing fucked me up for life.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
That fucking Guy...

Hey Kemal
http://www.yameen-shmal.com/wp-conte...-zuni-doll.jpg
Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Waste Disposer

I had a series of zombie dreams beginning 6 months ago and they became worse and worse.
I had a harder and harder time fighting them off every time.
The last one I had was 3 weeks ago and the zombies finally caught me and ate me.
Haven't had another one since.

My friend told me it wasn't about zombies at all but the way I have completely lost who I was in marriage so now that the zombies ate me, I can have a "rebirth".

Whatever, it sure as shit FELT real having my flesh devoured.
But while all that was going on, I HATED sleeping.