Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Murderland 2: Life During Wartime

You've done it again, Mr. Cook! A great sequel to H8.

Really enjoyed this book, the dynamic between 'not-quite-as-mad' Jeremy and Cassandra really drives the plot. Some intriguing additional characters and developing storyline makes me impatient for part 3. Get to it, Doc!

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
For Vendetta

Can't wait to read this!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Cranky

Was just given my copy today. Can't wait to read it!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Was just given my copy today. Can't wait to read it!
hand-delivered by the author himself.....how cool is that.;)
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Cranky

Doc is crazy creative- he told me he wrote SIX books this year!

When I was younger I thought I was going to be a writer... but six books in a year...

That's like the old pulp writers who got paid per word.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
PD Allen

I tried to read the first one. The story and the concept were good, but there were so many errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation I couldn't finish it.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Cranky

Some of that's intentional, but there are some gaffs. Doc admits that. For me the writing was so compelling, it kept me going- and I'm one of those spelling/grammar Nazis.

Of course not every work of fiction is for everyone, but Doc's work is the best I've read in some time.

I got a few minutes today and started reading Merderland 2, and IMO so far it's BETTER than the first part. I'M really impressed.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Well, thank you! I feel it's definitely better and has fewer editorial issues.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Cranky

Finished reading Murderland 2 a few days ago, and I'm ready for part 3! I think it's a very fresh, challenging and entertaining take on where our society is at and where it's going.

Like part 1 it had its good points for me, and its bad points as well. The good parts, of course, far outweigh the bad points.

What impressed me the most about part 1 was the stylistic approach. Almost a futurespeak at times, it was quite clever and drew me into Jeremy's world. My major criticism was that it was a little light on plot.

Part 2 is far more plot & action oriented. We don't see into Jeremy's mind as often. So my main critcism is reversed. The plot is intriguing and carries you along as it should, but I miss those stylistic touches that impressed me from part 1. I find my favorite parts being when I can see into Jeremy's mind- such as the dream sequences, which are blazingly original and engrossing. Some of the plotting is underwritten, IMO, and moves along TOO fast. I find myself saying- but wait, what happened when...?

And Garrett- please, please PLEASE give your manuscripts to somebody to proofread, before they go to the printer, because it appears your publisher can't do it. It makes the book look rushed. There isn't a page that doesn't have a spelling, punctuation or usage error on it somewhere- simple things like using bare when you mean bear.

There are a few other things that bothered me- like the Reap "commandments." Reap is tragedy. that's NOT A COMMANDMENT. A commandment is a call to action. An order. Thou shalt honor thy mother and father. That's a commandment. Of course, I guess it could be said that those parts are written in the voice of a particular character, whose twisted viewpoint calls them commandents when they're not... but it still bothered me.

Bottom line is- this is a very good book. Extremely entertaining and profound, but with a few flaws. Worth every penny, and if you haven't gotten your copy, you really should.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I read through it and barely saw anything on the error front, and the edits I was sent barely had any punctuation things. Apparently, the editor wasn't as good as I thought he was, though not nearly so bad as the first one. I figured some people might miss The Voice's input but I thought this time around, I'd make it more action oriented and more ambiguous. The 3rd book, Godless has more insane ranting in it because of the addition of another warped perspective. The title should give you a hint as to who that perspective belongs to.