Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Asylum’s Paranormal Entity

Last night I just saw this fantastic rip-off of this year's over hyped blockbuster Paranormal Activity and I like to say..."Kudos Asylum! This time you have done a great job!!":)

Plot synopsis:
Actual footage of the events leading to the 2008 "murder" of Samantha Finley. This DVD, released against the wishes of the authorities, proves that nothing human caused Samantha's death.

The Asylum’s Paranormal Entity opens with the following text:
"Last fall, Thomas Finley was arrested for the rape and murder of his 19 year old sister, Samantha Finley. He was also charged with the murder of Edgar Lauren, a paranormal investigator. Thomas claimed the victims were attacked by a demonic entity of unknown origin. Shortly after, he committed suicide while in prison."

Overall the style is almost exactly the same as that of “activity” but with a slightly more interesting story. Yes… there are flaws, the exact same night-by-night plot structure with blackouts, loud noises, annoying screaming and yelling all over but largely there was a continuous flow of paranormal happenings all over the house. Sometimes they are funny & bit stupid may be but I found fairly enjoyable. And finally in order to label the tag “Scary”…I would say at least it’s a way Spookier than PA! But the ending was a rush & comes all of a sudden at just when you’ll prepare to see some great deal of paranormal actions but it ends there with somewhat nothing.
Here they tried to give an idea of why an entity exists. Moreover, 2 out of 3 members of the house even try to go to a motel for escape. The camera works are better here but acting was bit flat from the woman who played the character of the mother.

The interesting & funny part is the way Asylum is trying to convince the viewers that the film footage is the real deal and claim it all to be True in the plot synopsis, they’re not even listing director or actor credits for that matter in the film, and the various production credits on their own website are still left as "N/A"! Moreover in the website lately they described the matter with bit more detail:

"There’s been some comment on the internet about our release called PARANORMAL ENTITY and why is hasn’t been posted on our website until now.
This has been a sensitive issue for all of us:
A few weeks ago we were approached by surviving members of the Finley family who asked us to release never-before-seen home video footage shot by Thomas Finley, who was accused of murdering his sister, Samantha (pictured) in 2008, and who later took his own life in prison.
The family has always maintained that Thomas was innocent of the crime and that Samantha’s tragic death was not caused by anything human.
Watch PARANORMAL ENTITY on December 22, 2009 and decide the truth for yourself.
"

But the funnier thing is the only text that appears on the screen when the film concludes is "All events, characters, and firms depicted in this photo play are purely fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental."

The terrible job that they have done was the trailer; which comes with a little spoiler and surely gives a wrong vibe about the film. My suggestion: Don't watch the trailer, straight go for the movie. Again...this is way funnier as well as better than PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.;)

Last edited by roshiq; 12-24-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 AM
HDC Idol

So the boyfriend and I watched this the other night based on roshiq's rec, and I have to say THANK YOU ROSHIQ FOR THIS REC.

Honestly, I don't care of this movie is a shameless knockoff by a production company who is in the business of shameless knockoffs (their catalog includes gems like AVH: Alien vs Hunter, The Da Vinci Treasure, The Day the Earth Stopped, The Terminators, 2010: Supernova, Death Racers, Transmorphers: Fall of Man) because, quite frankly, Paranormal Entity is really damn good. Seriously.

I'm not sure if I'd say that it was necessarily overall better than Paranormal Activity, BUT there were a few things that it did do better...

[SPOILERS FOR BOTH MOVIES BELOW]
One of the complaints that I had about Activity was that they never left the house... I understand the concept that it is SHE who is haunted and that they can't escape, but I think that it would have been more successful if they had SHOWN this instead of just TOLD the audience this... Entity, however, DOES pull the haunted female out of the house to demonstrate that she is not safe anywhere, which I thought was great and should have been in Activity as well. Then again, he supposed haunting outside of the house was delivered to us completely through exposition; it would have been nice to actually SEE her being haunted in the hotel room instead of having the ordeal described to us by the Mother; that, to me, says that Entity didn't have the special effects to drag her out of the bed, where Activity did.
[/SPOILERS]

I thought that Entity was just as successful with creating horror, suspense, and a pure sense of dread. I don't care that it was a knockoff, I thoroughly enjoyed myself while gripping my boyfriend's hand in fear. Activity definitely had a better ending (I got the feeling as though Entity either ran out of budget and/or gave up. The ending was a bit too sudden for me).

I definitely recommend this movie.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I love Asylum's concept but i've never got a round to actuallly waching one..

Where is a good place to start?

I was thinking I Am Omega as I used to be a kinda a Mark Dacascos fan (well DRIVE was a great film)...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Misanthrope

The only flick of theirs I've seen was Death Racers, dumb as fuck but I enjoyed it more than the Death Race remake.

I wasn't going to bother with this one but I've heard good things from quite a few people now so I'll give it a hire if I see it over here.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Glad you liked it, Chrono! Totally agree with you, word by word.:)

All original PA lovers & haters at least should give it a watch. It's a fun to watch, but not in a bad way.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Evil Dead

I hadn't heard of this until I saw it on Netflix within the last hour. I skipped over it and kept browsing, but now that I've seen this thread, I'm going to check it out. :) Thanks for posting about it.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Deviant

Some of this company's films are ok, if not for anything but a laugh. I will check into this one.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Watched it last night, not bad at all really. Definitely the best I have seen from Asylum. I didn't find this as creepy as Activity, but it had a couple of moments that gave me a bit of a jolt.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I love Asylum's concept but i've never got a round to actuallly waching one..

Where is a good place to start?

I was thinking I Am Omega as I used to be a kinda a Mark Dacascos fan (well DRIVE was a great film)...
I am Omega is the only Asylum film I have seen,I quite enjoyed it too.Going into it I had zero expectations (Which probably helped) and while the film has it's limitations,I thought it offered passable "Popcorn" entertainment.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Evil Dead

It was more fast paced than Paranormal Activity and much more entertaining. But what I enjoyed the most was the hot, big tittied daughter. She was FINE.