Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
For Vendetta

John Carpenter's The Ward

Anyone seen it at the TIFF 2010 or other Film Festivals around the US yet?

It is releasing on July 8th for limited theater showings, and that's a real shame. Whatever reviews I have read sound very promising, plus it got a BIG Thumbs Up from our very own Roderick Usher.

Plus it's got both Amber Heard AND Danielle Panabaker in it.

Can't wait.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/...icles_the-ward
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
No, fuck YOU

Haven't seen it, but now I wanna.

Sounds like something i would like.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Misanthrope

This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Can't wait to check it out. Hopefully it'll be some classic Carpenter!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
From The Beyond

Yeah I hope it's a return to form.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Going to watch it right now! YAAAHOOOOOO!:D
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Evil is Better

Sounds cool, ill have to check it out especially since its from John Carpenter
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Misanthrope

Uneven but not without it's merits.

It's classic Carpenter stylistically which I dug. I haven't felt like I was watching a Carpenter flick since Prince Of Darkness so in that regard it was a return to form somewhat for me. That dark mood modernised noir shit was back and the score wasn't to bad.

The script fucking sucked especially towards the end when it shamelessly borrows from some recent blockbusters (I won't say which two to avoid spoilers) which will no doubt kill it for everyone but the die hard fans.

With a more solid script behind him we could very well see one hell of a comback.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Here's a recent interview of John Carpenter on his comeback with The Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Uneven but not without it's merits.

The script fucking sucked especially towards the end when it shamelessly borrows from some recent blockbusters (I won't say which two to avoid spoilers) which will no doubt kill it for everyone but the die hard fans.

With a more solid script behind him we could very well see one hell of a comback.
I see your point but don't like to completely agree with you on the point about borrowing elements from recent blockbusters.

***Huge Spoilers***
(WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE YET PLEASE DON'T TRY TO READ IT EVEN BY MISTAKE...IT'LL SURELY RUIN THE FUN!!)
The way WARD ends it certainly reminds of films like Shutter Island or Shock Corridor(haven't seen it yet but heard about it lately). But The Ward differs in the 'point of view' aspect, IMO. Although the central character of the story & the only patient in the Ward was Alice but from the very beginning we followed the story from the viewpoint of one of her multiple personalities....Kristan. The interesting thing is at the end we came to know that all of those inmates in the Ward were nothing but her completely different kind of personalities with different identity & look that she developed gradually by all these years and her original tormented part is lurking around as a vengeful ghost. I loved this idea! And that makes The Ward different from others, I think. But yeah...though I always very much love this sorta stories but haven't seen many films with similar kinda plot, so I may be missing some film references here.

Btw, Amber Heard looked kinda funny when she popping out from the back of the mirror at the last shot:D. I think they should taken that scene in a more frightening way.
***Spoilers End***

Last edited by roshiq; 06-01-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Misanthrope

I just thought it got a bit sloppy and seemed like the script was rushed and could've done with some tweaking. The ending was just too tacked on for me & it [spoilers]seemed like the writer had just recently watched the Elm Street remake. I think part of the film's weakness was the majority of it's themes had been done before and better with Identity and Raising Cain. Shutter Island was a little to fresh in my memory too which stole it's thunder.[/spoilers]

But that said I still enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 AM
She's under the stairs

I heard it was getting a dvd release here soon, no cinematic release. Haven't seen it in a shop yet though. I'm hanging to see it, very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha