Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Hellraiser

Film Suggestion for English Paper

Hey guys! First post, but let me get to the point. This paper I'm writing is my senior seminar project, and I need a movie suggestion to complete it.

I need a horror film starring a Final Girl that meets these criteria:
1. She kills the monster(in whatever form).
2. Easily recognizable(broad audience, they're wimps =P).
3. Post-1960's.

The reasoning behind this is to find a vanquisher-type woman in contemporary horror to prove(don't worry about that part) the connection between the Republican Woman of captivity literature and contemporary horror's Final Girl.

I've got until Tuesday =(. You're my only hope! =--(

Original film was The Silence of the Lambs, but I decided she's a hard sell due to her job title and not being personally victimized through the film. Argue against, if you'd like =)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:53 PM
whatever gets you through

ripley in Alien & esp Aliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrcury View Post
Hey guys! First post, but let me get to the point. This paper I'm writing is my senior seminar project, and I need a movie suggestion to complete it.

I need a horror film starring a Final Girl that meets these criteria:
1. She kills the monster(in whatever form).
2. Easily recognizable(broad audience, they're wimps =P).
3. Post-1960's.

The reasoning behind this is to find a vanquisher-type woman in contemporary horror to prove(don't worry about that part) the connection between the Republican Woman of captivity literature and contemporary horror's Final Girl.

I've got until Tuesday =(. You're my only hope! =--(

Original film was The Silence of the Lambs, but I decided she's a hard sell due to her job title and not being personally victimized through the film. Argue against, if you'd like =)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Hellraiser

Sorry for not mentioning, I already have Aliens, The Descent, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm using Ripley as a substitute mother, since she dons the mother cloak to protect Newt more than to extinguish the mother Alien.

The Descent pits Sarah as the vanquisher pretty well, but she worked better as a mother for me since her dreams of her daughter brought her back to civilized thought.

I'm looking for someone like Sarah, the blood-smeared female vanguard. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for being stumped ;(
Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Hellraiser

What do you think of Nightmare on Elm Street as a vanquisher archetype? I wasn't going to use the camp movies, but the first generations of Jason and Freddy seem legit enough. Both feature strong women trying to destroy the monster... bah. I'll go with it.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 PM
The Boogeyman

Try "The Caller" or "The Ward" Both are psychological thrillers and you could probably touch deeper with those kind of movies. "The Caller" is about a woman who divorces her husband and movies into an apartment by herself and she's getting a phone call from someone in the past.

"The Ward" is about a girl who is sent to a mental institution and has to battle her own demons. The ending wraps it all up but I don't want to ruin the movie if you haven't seen it.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Hellraiser

Hey! I'm actually going to go with I Spit On Your Grave since it's a real fan service to rape victims. Come on, "Suck it, bitch" doesn't hit that high note? haha! I watched The Ward last night, actually, and I loved the film, but I'm feeling it there wasn't as much import to the ending for the nationalistic viewer. I've got some free time and I'll check out The Caller in a minute. Thanks for the interest =)