Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2014, 07:10 AM
HDC Idol

Chrono's Horror Movie Marathon Week 4: Zombies!

OK horror fiends - I don't know about you but I've been doing some serious thinking to prepare for

ZOMBIE WEEK

My viewing this coming week entails a few favorites...

Zombie II (1979) - It's been a VERY long time since I've seen this movie; my memory has stuck to a few iconic scenes but I'm excited to watch the movie that I had, at the time, pinned as my "favorite" zombie movie... I was originally going to go with Night of the Living Dead but, while I do love that movie, I've seen it numerous times and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to catch up with Fulci again. I'm pretty damn excited for this.

Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Now this is one of my hubby's absolute favorite zombie movies - I watched it about 7 years ago with him and I wrote it off at the time (apparently I consistently write off 80's horror movies)... So I'm excited to look at it with different eyes and add it to my viewing as a nod to my hubby. Also, we used to own a copy and I have NO idea where it is... So I might use this as an excuse to pick up a new one.

And then finally...

Shaun of the Dead (2004) - Well, I feel as though this movie requires very little explanation - It's funny, it's tight, and I think that it serves as both a comedy and legitimate horror movie... Not to mention, it was my introduction to the Edgar Wright crew - What introduced me to Simon Pegg and that brand of humor... It's a movie that I own and love and can't wait to watch again.

I need to think about movie times... I have a couple of open-ended plans tomorrow night and I'm not sure when I'll get home... As for Tuesday & Thursday, not sure if it's 7:00 or 8:00 or somewhere in between - If folks are interested in joining viewings let me know and we can pick times.

If now we can bring the discussion here.

Anyhoo - Happy Saturday Boys & Girls - I'm looking forward to this week's Zombie-thon and would love to hear about -

What are your favorite zombie movies? What are your least favorite? If you had to pick three zombie movies to watch, what would they be?

Looking forward to it!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Midnight toker

Not sure if I can make tomorrow nights one, but I'll be there if I can (50/50)... I will definitely come along to the Shaun of the Dead viewing if you end up watching it at the 7pm time slot, or somewhere around then. 8pm is a bit of a push for me though, so might have to skip it if its a later slot.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Evil is Better

I'll Probably skip this one. Not a big zombie fan. I do like Shaun of the Dead though. Im not a fan of horror comedies but they manage to make it into a good comedy and a good horror movie at the same time.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Cranky

All great movies and worthy choices. Of course, being the creaky old antique I am, I'd include a nod to the classic zombie films, and by classic I mean PRE-ROMERO, like White Zombie or I Walked With a Zombie. Pulling from the traditional zombie lore as they do, they are interesting to look at in terms of class and race- WHITE Zombie is even overt about it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Great choices Chronogrl, I was really looking forward to watching Night of the Living Dead (1968), but Zombie 2 is a worthy film as well. I know Shaun of the Dead was very highly reviewed, but I, personally, preferred Zombieland over that. I am a little surprised that you picked two horror comedies for this section. In any case, while I am not a big zombie fan, I look forward to participating in the marathon this week. By the way, my favorite zombie films are made by Romero, those films being Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Diary of the Dead. On the topic of those films, I have to say that I was not a fan of the remake of Dawn of the Dead and I have not seen the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead yet. One last thing i'd like to say is that I am actually a huge Fulci fan. I love the artistic manner with which he does his films.

If I had to choose three zombie films they would probably be:
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Return of the Living Dead

These films are not only great, but they are definitely three very different zombie films. One issue of this sub-genre is monotony. Different takes on zombies are nearly always my favorite. Also, I love social commentary, but there are some great zombie films without it.

Last edited by metternich1815; 10-04-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Evil Dead

I would've gone with Dawn of the Dead (original), Return of the Living Dead, and Zombieland.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Extreme in Everything

I loved Zombie, Day of the Dead, and 28 Days Later.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Cranky

One of my all time favorite zombie films is a super low budget affair that veers recklessly between comedy and drama and back again several times. I saw it several years ago on Fearnet and can never remember the name. It had some bizarre elements that had me gasping in disbelief, including a detachable zombie penis...

Love to see that again if I could ever remember the title. It had a really unlikely name.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Banned

nice...I own all 3 on DVD

Perhaps I may make one of these viewings
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 PM
ventricle

For the sake of seeing films I haven't seen yet, I'd go for I Walked With a Zombie, White Zombie, Dawn of the Dead (2004) &
Zombieland (2009).