Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Fear scented candle

RA Salvatore

This is the guy who got me into writing, believe it or not. i didnt start off as a horror writer, i ended up there, mostly because it is easy for me, and i really enjoy it, but in the beginning, i wrote fantasy. (I have a short story in the worksnow, i will post it once it is done)

ANYWAY. I have been watching some podcast iunterviews with him, and was thinking, it is really great when you look up to someone for what they have done, and when you see them as a human being, they are actualkly good people.

Its amazing, the guy is probably one of the most successful fantasy writers out there, and he is laidd back and friendly. Too many times people find great success and end up being assholes, but he is apparently surprised daily at how lucky he has been. In that regard he is a lot like Stephen king, both are New Englanders who are just happy to be doing what they do, rather than thinking the world owes them something.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Although I've moved on from my Salvatore stage, I have to give the guy some props. He created one of the most memorable characters in fantasy; Drizzt is right up there with Elric and Severian. While I find his prose to be a bit barebones at this point, I've got to admit that no one can write battle scenes like him. The series about Drizzt and his friends is pretty much required fantasy reading, especially for younger folks.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctuary View Post
Although I've moved on from my Salvatore stage, I have to give the guy some props. He created one of the most memorable characters in fantasy; Drizzt is right up there with Elric and Severian. While I find his prose to be a bit barebones at this point, I've got to admit that no one can write battle scenes like him. The series about Drizzt and his friends is pretty much required fantasy reading, especially for younger folks.
Around "Passage to Dawn" he seemed to lose some of the passion for the character, and by the next book, seemed to have checked out completely. I havent read any of his stuff since (i have a copy of sea of swords i havent touched in i think 6 years), but his old stuff i can reread forever. I still have the copy of Homeland i bought when i was 15, and it is still my favorite novel.

Its weird, i think i have grown out of his type of writing, and im like urge, i dont really read fantasy anymore, but i still have fond memories.

I think if i ever get to write professionally, it will be sci fi and horror, MAYBE some fantasy on occasion.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Well, you guys, all I can say is that being turned off of fantasy by David Eddings is like being turned off of horror by Poppy Z. Brite. You can't take the works of a terrible hack as being representative of a genre on the whole. There IS a lot of crap fantasy out there, but there are also authors like Steven Erikson, Gene Wolfe, China Mieville, Tad Williams, etc. I read a lot of fantasy, and I also read a lot of SF and horror, and I've found that, by and large, the quality fantasy writers are superior to their counterparts in other fields. Exceptions made for Ligotti and Campbell.

If it's just not your bag, that's one thing, but don't let the Eddingses and Goodkinds of the world ruin an entire genre for you.

Side note: if you don't know where to start with F/SF, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series is probably the best work of fiction I've ever read. This is aimed at anyone reading this thread.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Fear scented candle

It was interesting watching the interviews with Salvatore. he made an interesting observation when he was asked if he wanted any of his works turned into movies. he said he would love it, but that because of Peter jackson's success with the genre, there is going to be a period where they are optioning every crappy director out there to make fantasy movies because they are hoping to ride the tide, and he doesnt want any of his stuff being produced as garbage because the producers got the legal right to make a movie, then passed it off to some hack.