Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Evil Dead

Movie Series You Rank In Release Order

I've been thinking with the up and down quality of some movie series, are there any series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.? A lot of user rankings for some movie series vary greatly, but how often do you rank any series in release order? It seems somewhat uncommon but not overly rare.

For me, some series I rank in the order they came out:

Jurassic Park
RoboCop
Iron Man (not counting The Avengers)
Paranormal Activity
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (live-action trilogy)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I've been thinking with the up and down quality of some movie series, are there any series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.
Sure:
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back (Empire is better is some ways)
Return of the Jedi

Also:
The Lord of the Rings
The Matrix
X-men (X-men 2 is better in some ways)

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-11-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Evil Dead

That reminds me, I've never seen the LOTR films and never saw The Matrix sequels, only the original.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Hmm...

Horror
The Alien films (Yes, I like Alien more than Aliens, although I go back and forth on part 3 and 4)

The Predator films (Predator, Predator 2, Predators)

The Alien Vs. Predator films I considered a separate series although they would go in their release order.

Maybe the Children Of The Corn series (It's been awhile since I've seen a few of them)

Maybe the Wishmaster franchise (Again it's been a while since I've seen parts 3 & 4)

Non-Horor
I agree on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I'll have to think about this a little more.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
That reminds me, I've never seen the LOTR films and never saw The Matrix sequels, only the original.
I know that the Matrix sequels get a lot of hate, but I really loved them and think you should definitely give them a watch. In fact, often, I watch the three films as a triple feature. Recently, I played Saints Row IV, which references just about everything and one of the main references was the Matrix movies, which actually made me want to watch them again (I have probably seen them dozens of times).
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 PM
ventricle

Quote:
It's worthwhile seeing the other 2 films for LOTR and Matrix. All of them are interesting, and have worthwhile messages.

There's no doubt the 2 sequels are inferior in both cases, but it doesn't mean they're poor films. They all have payoffs for the story lines.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Hmm...

Horror
The Alien films (Yes, I like Alien more than Aliens, although I go back and forth on part 3 and 4)

The Predator films (Predator, Predator 2, Predators)

The Alien Vs. Predator films I considered a separate series although they would go in their release order.

Maybe the Children Of The Corn series (It's been awhile since I've seen a few of them)

Maybe the Wishmaster franchise (Again it's been a while since I've seen parts 3 & 4)

Non-Horor
I agree on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I'll have to think about this a little more.
Yes, Alien is one of my all-time favorite films. I really like Aliens as well. I think Alien is deeper in most every film aspect; but no doubt, I think Aliens is a funner film.

I did think of the Alien series, but I just saw Alien 3 again this week; my first viewing since seeing it in the theater. Oh my, it's even worse than I remembered. It's so simple as to be dull.

I actually liked Alien Resurrection, even though they passed over so many interesting topics they brought up in the film, particularly the Alien social research.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-12-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
It's worthwhile seeing the other 2 films for LOTR and Matrix. All of them are interesting, and have worthwhile messages.

There's no doubt the 2 sequels are inferior in both cases, but it doesn't mean they're poor films. They all have payoffs for the story lines.
I definitely agree that the first Matrix is the best in the series, but the others were also quite good, in my opinion, also. I saw the first Lord of the Rings. I am not really a big fan myself. I don't really like the fantasy genre. I do love science fiction though. Almost as much as horror.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
I definitely agree that the first Matrix is the best in the series, but the others were also quite good, in my opinion, also. I saw the first Lord of the Rings. I am not really a big fan myself. I don't really like the fantasy genre. I do love science fiction though. Almost as much as horror.
LOTR has a lot of heart. The sequels lose a bit of that. The story loses steam when the heart deflates. Knowing you a bit, Metternich, I think you'd really enjoy reading LOTR. There's so much more to the book. The deep aspects of life are in full bloom in the book. The film catches a glimpse of that.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post

That's not uncommon for people to prefer Alien to Aliens, though both movies are always close.